Railroad Forums 

• Louisville, KY / New Albany, IN

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #268111  by CPSD40-2

My father grew up in New Albany, IN, right on the street running north of the the K & I Bridge. I know back in the day, we saw Family Lines and Milwaukee Road trains on the tracks, but its been years since I have been down there.

I think the yard just on the other side of the bridge is now owned by NS - correct? Do they operate a hump there?

Also, who actually owns that line, across the bridge, up into Indiana now? I thought I had heard CP was running on it now (?)

Lastly,

Thanks!
 #271324  by Bryanjones

CPSD40-2 wrote:My father grew up in New Albany, IN, right on the street running north of the the K & I Bridge. I know back in the day, we saw Family Lines and Milwaukee Road trains on the tracks, but its been years since I have been down there.

I think the yard just on the other side of the bridge is now owned by NS - correct? Do they operate a hump there?

Also, who actually owns that line, across the bridge, up into Indiana now? I thought I had heard CP was running on it now (?)

Lastly,

Thanks!
here are answers to your questions:

the street running is CSX trackage, originally owned by the Monon. Milwaukee Road had trackage rights over this line to reach Louisville. These trackage rights later became Soo after they took over the Milwaukee Road, then CP after they tookover the Soo and just back in May Indiana Railroad now has those trackages rights since they have aquired the Latta Sub from the CP.

the yard operated just off of the river over in Louisville is the NS Youngtown Yard. It was originally operated by the Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR which was aquired by the Southern RR. This is not a hump yard, just flat switching.

Both the NS and CSX (as well as Indiana Railroad via trackage rights over CSX) operate over the bridge between Louisville and New Albany. The NS line runs west over into Illinois while the CSX line runs north to Mitchell,Indiana.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#271365  by CPSD40-2

How much traffic does that line see these days? I was down there 3 - 4 years ago, and there didn't seem to be much going on...
 #272750  by DocJohn

Wasn't there a track relocation some time before 1980 which took NS trains off the streets. I moved to that area in 1980 and there was evidence that NS trains used to come off the bridge, circle around to the right and come back under the bridge on their way to downtown New Albay and points west

DocJohn

#275503  by CPSD40-2

I think there was a track that did just as you said, and its still there from the last time I looked at LiveLocal. I think that spur goes down to the old Southern RR line that ran along the Ohio River.
 #275506  by DocJohn

I took some pictures around that area in the summer of 1981. I will have to dig through the slides. Also, there were two RR lines that ran east out of New Albany. One was the B&O line, but closer to the river, the Penny had a line.

JHL

#275511  by CPSD40-2

I know that after the line ran up 15th st, and then veered off the pavement heading north, it intersected with another line right there - I remember seeing signals, bridges, etc over the road. Maybe that was one of them?

#520946  by CPSD40-2

Just noticed Indiana Railroad in the Trains issue, running in the street - glad to see thats still in use.

We're heading there in July again, and I'm hoping I can catch a few trains in the street. Anyone know of current train frequency?