Railroad Forums 

• Phoenixville, PA, Industrial track to Devault, PA

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #249038  by Pacobell73

So why did NS crews go through the trouble of removing the crossbucks and severing the track near the Pothouse Road crossing?

Why did NS place the track "out of service?" Wasn't the Maslo Recyclying Company (http://www.masloco.com/) supposed to move into the warehouse near the end of the line (where American Sweetners used to be)? Their address states 11 Lee Boulevard, which is right at the end of track. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?se ... a&zipcode=

#253071  by Pacobell73

Well, that's one way of looking at it. I think East Penn Railways would be a perfect candidate to take over this line.

Has anyone suggested this to CEO John Nolan (215.757.4002)?

#257696  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
The Devalt line was a branch of the PRR, It was known when built as the Phoenixville & West Chester Railroad charted on June 12, 1882.

The railroad was last used in 2004.

Len.

#387315  by Pacobell73

Any updates on this line? Has NS decided to sell this to a shortline operator?

#391299  by WM Fan (in philly)

It would be cool if this could made into a commuter route, I live in walking distance to the Pothouse road crossing. I also think it would make a nice tourist line, we could always use more of those :-D

#409824  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
A few days ago I look at the track near Pot house crossing. NS. has cut the rail and move it in a bit so ,if anyone is desiding of taking a trip with their speeder you not going to cross Pot House road. Also its very much over grown near the Tech School. I was talking with an fireman who works for a fire company in Phoenixville, just the other day. He told me that NS is going to lift out the bridge over Main street. The fire trucks can't go under it.

Len.

#410487  by dreese_us

Does the line to Devault run through Pheonixville?

#410602  by Schuylkill Valley

It does run through Phoenixville, Pa. It starts where the wye track was on the PRR Schuylkill was. the devalt line was really the Phoneixville and West Chester branch of the PRR.

Update: NS is storing cover hoppers on the lower half in Oaks, Pa.
I saw them tonight.

Len.

#415035  by Pacobell73

Yes, it is true. Covered hoppers are being stored on the line from Oaks all the way to the start of Mont Clare, covering quite a distance. It was nice to see that NS sees some use for this line while the warehouses in Devault remain unused.

I live in Caines Creek, right off of Pothouse Road. I am afraid that NS did indeed cut the rail inward on both sides of the Pothouse Road/Bridge Street crossings. The line takes a hit in the summer, and the weed growth makes it impassable. But it is relatively clear in the wintertime.

It would be a shame if NS knocked down the trestle over Nutt Road near Rt. 113. For a stub ended line that has survived merger after merger, and it cobbled together from several different lines (Reading's Perkiomen branch, PRR's Schyukill Valley, etc.) this would be a cruel end.

East Penn Railways could easily take this line over (look at what they did to the Colebrookdale branch, not too far from Phoenixville). Or it would make a heluva toursit line. Plenty of parking in Oaks, very scenic, including a high trestle over Morehall Rd/Rt. 29.

My guess is that NS will sell the branch off, reuse it, or abandon it.
 #432903  by Pacobell73

In this line's colorful history, has it ever experienced periods of disuse like it is now? With Phoenixivlle becoming another West Chester, my fear is that the new influx of yuppies will become NIMBYs.

#432913  by Schuylkill Valley

The line has always been operating, even in the late 1980's it had 10 or more cars on it's trains. I remember seeing them go past the Northern Chester County Tech School when I went there. It's only since NS took over it has be out of service. and they could have service again , because the quarrie on Rt29 would like to have rail service once more.

But NS. tell them that the Rt. 29 big trussel needs repair and that their going going to spend out that kind of money , just so an little quarrie can have rail service. I was told this by an gy that work for the quarrie. I was also talking to a Penn Dot guy who states that, that bridge is in very good shape, for they just repaired it five years ago. Just before the chocolate company closed down in Devalt.

Len.
 #450525  by Pacobell73

Well, I went to work Thursday morning and crossed over the Pothouse and Charlestown roads. When I got home last night, the grade crossings were paved over.

I was waiting for that, as the Pothouse crossing is rough. Not a good sign.

And the twisted in rails on both sides of the crossing were not simply unspiked and moved. NS actually severed the rail with the blow torch.

East Penn, please take over.

I will post a picture or two soon.

#450561  by Schuylkill Valley

Wow! I hope Phoenixville got in touch with NS, before they paved over thoses rails. If not their facing a big fine.

Len