Railroad Forums 

• NS Train Symbols

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

39E

#435307  by esprrfan

Tried that link, brings up a blank excel sheet, anyhow 39E is a Detroit to Elkhart manifest, works at Toledo where it also changes crew and sometimes will pick up at Bryan Oh if the B38 can't make it to Elkhart that night.

#435463  by charlie6017

Schuylkill Valley wrote:yes try this one.
http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/nstrains/

Len
No, don't try that one unless you want a bunch of pop-ups on your computer. I did a search and came up empty--sorry........

#435486  by Schuylkill Valley

I would like to know why you can't open up that web siote. I can with no problem. The only thing I can do is read all the symboles, because I don't have widows word 2007 in my pc.

Len.

#435630  by esprrfan

Today it works.

Pretty decent list though there a few changes such as 24W now terminates in Cleveland with the 20V now continuing on what was once the 24W old route. 616 is coal loads for 1st Energy at Toledo (Oregon) with the 677 being the empties back to the BNSF, this train btw always has BNSF power.

358/359 no longer operate

Duane

#455870  by esprrfan

opps, the empties are 667

Re:

#681318  by RailRoader93

Santa Fe Sucks wrote:That seems so arcane and unnecessary. I like the BNSF system much better.
100% agree. The western roads have it all figured out, none of that old numbers crap. Another example of why BNSF is the best of the bunch.
 #709103  by M1 9147

On the Lehigh Valley Line at Bound Brook, the west bound CSX K 491 went by with 50, or so tanker cars on #2, however before that, heading east on #1 at Bound Brook, an eastbound mixed NS train lead by an SD9043 with an SD70, and an SD60 with over 100 cars or so was headed east. Would anybody know what that would be? This was at 13:00 hours, and I forgot to bring in my scanner which I left in my camera bag in my car! Help here would be appreciated!
 #798726  by leosv

On NS, yes southbounds are generally odd numbers, but it's usually the opposite for coal trains. Southbound is even and loaded, northound is odd and empty. A letter with 2 digits are usually your locals. The 200's are pigs and they are ALWAYS hot.
 #812744  by cbehr91

leosv wrote:On NS, yes southbounds are generally odd numbers, but it's usually the opposite for coal trains. Southbound is even and loaded, northound is odd and empty. A letter with 2 digits are usually your locals. The 200's are pigs and they are ALWAYS hot.
Aren't all of NS's trains eastbound or westbound? I believe so. Eastbounds are even-numbered, westbounds are odd-numbered. 000s are passenger trains (Amtrak and circus trains). 100s and 300s are manifests, 200s are automotive or intermodel, 500s are grainers or other unit trains, 600s and 800s are coal trains and 900s are special movements like light engine moves, geometry trains or OCSs.

And beyond that, there are always extras, which NS puts a letter for the first digit. M is an extra 1, I is an extra 2, W is an extra 3 and S is an extra 8. There may be more but I don't know them.
 #817154  by leosv

no they're not all E/W bounds. In fact the majority of them in GA are N/S with only a few W/E spots. West and South are odd. 700 are coal trains, 200's are all pigs, auto's are usually 2 numbers and a digit. This may differ by region, but in the Western region this is usually the case. I don't know what symbols they use on the northern Conrail region.
 #977866  by Dewoc19

i know the following trains get built up in Chicago

234, 25A, 215, 236, 295, 20Q, 206, 317, 177, 30Q, but i dont know the final destination of any of these trains

i also know that 21V comes through Chicago and gets built up partially in one of our yards and then dropped off to BNSF Cicero yard

while i work at NS and build up most of these trains, i have no idea what any of the letters mean, could someone explain what all the letters mean for the train symbols?
 #1006992  by chris carangi

RailRoader93 wrote:
Santa Fe Sucks wrote:That seems so arcane and unnecessary. I like the BNSF system much better.
100% agree. The western roads have it all figured out, none of that old numbers crap. Another example of why BNSF is the best of the bunch.
I think the Conrail symbols were the best. Four letters long. Two for the origin and two for the destination. BNSF has two many letters.

Chris
 #1008807  by Dewoc19

The UP uses a lot of letters here in Chicago but they make sense.... like we have a train that comes from the UP to one of our NS yards.... Train symbol is YPRNSA

Y - Yard
PR - Proviso
NS - Norfolk Southern
A - Ashland