Railroad Forums 

• NS Train Symbols

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #17991  by trainfreak

How do the symbols work for Norfolk Southern? I cant seem to get an idea of the way they work.

#19997  by matt

100's Manifest/Mixed trains
200-270 Intermodal trains
270-299 Auto trains
300-400 Mixed trains
500-600-700 Some coal, also ore, stone, and other bulk commodities
800 coal
900 light engine moves/special work, I believe

In theory, eastbounds have even numbers and westbounds odd, not sure about north/south.

When NS added Conrail's trains back in '99, they ran out of 3 digit #'s so they started using 13 letters of the alphabet to replace the final number of certain trains.

For example, NS train 145 passes westbound thru Fostoria, Ohio each day.
So does eastbound coal train 84M. This train is an 840 series coal train.

There's lots more but that's a start.

#20035  by trainfreak

So i take it that the letters are used to add more symbols into the system. Thats what was confusing me especially since im used to CSX symbols and to me those seem very simple.

#21934  by CSX Conductor

Matt, traditionally North and East trains (as well as airplanes and inter-city busses such as Greyhound) are designated with even numbered designations. And at the same time Southward and Westwards with odd numbered designations.

#86894  by Schuylkill Valley

This is a good subject, I`m bringing back to the main page.

Len

#86984  by SRS125

East end with Even Numbers
West end with Odd Numbers
North end with Even Numbers
South end with Odd Numbers

#87468  by Big Al

I'm looking for local train # for the Franklin Secondary (Meadville to Oil City, PA branch) and the Meadville Line (ex-Erie Lackawanna main line)?

#87609  by AmtrakFan

Would it be odd if it was a Miami to LA Train?

John

#87625  by CSX Conductor

AmtrakFan wrote:Would it be odd if it was a Miami to LA Train?

John
I would assume so, since LA is west of Miami. :P

#87670  by Santa Fe Sucks

That seems so arcane and unnecessary. I like the BNSF system much better.

#87743  by SRS125

not to throw things off topic but dosen't BNSF's Ore Trains start at 1, 2, 3, 4, ect till the end of the year no matter what direction the train is going??

#87804  by railohio

Santa Fe Sucks wrote:That seems so arcane and unnecessary. I like the BNSF system much better.
NS uses the old Southern Railway computer system and is limited to only three digits. When they ran out of numbers they simply started substituting letters in their place.

#88238  by Santa Fe Sucks

SRS125 wrote:not to throw things off topic but dosen't BNSF's Ore Trains start at 1, 2, 3, 4, ect till the end of the year no matter what direction the train is going??
Nope.

#93225  by railohio

I'll throw out another question for the group to collectively gnaw on: What letters does NS use to replace the last digit of its freight trains? I'm familiar with the use of A, K, G, M, N, and J. What other letters are used? Could there be a, for example, "38D" somewhere on the system?