Railroad Forums 

• NS Lays Out Dramatic Transition to Precision Railroading

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1501634  by umtrr-author

I don't think this has been noted here before... I am way behind on my Google Alerts and this is from February 12...

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/no ... on/548231/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NS announced at an investor conference on February 11, 2019 that it was adopting Precision Railroading, with fewer heavier trains, centralized operation, and staff cutbacks.

Fair use quotes...
CEO Jim Squires said the railroad will change its service and prioritize loads differently in a move toward "being clear about what we can and can’t do," which will lead to some shedding of customers.

"Service, as we go through PSR, will change. A network that takes into account the needs of most customers won’t be ideal for every customer," said Squires.
Analysts at the event questioned whether PSR can really be good for both railroad and customer — since some would argue that has yet to be the case with previous conversions. Norfolk Southern insists it will be able to thread that needle.
 #1502920  by QB 52.32

No discussion yet, from what I've heard, about the potential of closing hump yards. They're talking about reduction of locomotives and cars, bigger blocks and trains of consolidated traffic type, and increasing traffic revenue yields, but their network design is still in simulation with the plan to roll out the finalized version later this year. Considering the fact they have twice the number of hump yards for 7.4% less merchandise volume than CSX, seems inevitable that this will be part of the equation to some degree, too.