Railroad Forums 

• Hiring Freeze

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1357011  by Bbab0223

Has anyone else been given the conditional employment offer then been told they have a hiring freeze. Also does this happen often and how long does the freeze normally last.
 #1358964  by Off Pending

Bbab0223 wrote:Has anyone else been given the conditional employment offer then been told they have a hiring freeze. Also does this happen often and how long does the freeze normally last.
Welcome to life on the railroad, where downturns in traffic dictate that hiring needs no longer exist. They will start hiring again, when business improves.

In some locations, they hired conductor trainees only to turn around and immediately furlough them.

As of right now, there are very few places that actually need people. Could be a while before they start hiring again.
 #1376082  by Acela150

Off Pending wrote:
Bbab0223 wrote:Has anyone else been given the conditional employment offer then been told they have a hiring freeze. Also does this happen often and how long does the freeze normally last.
Welcome to life on the railroad, where downturns in traffic dictate that hiring needs no longer exist. They will start hiring again, when business improves.

In some locations, they hired conductor trainees only to turn around and immediately furlough them.

As of right now, there are very few places that actually need people. Could be a while before they start hiring again.
Trainees don't get furloughed.. They lose their job. They don't have seniority.
 #1377498  by lakeshoredave

I've noticed the same thing since I have applied for a few jobs with Norfolk Southern and haven't heard back at all since I applied to those jobs late last year. With traffic being down on most class 1 railroads, that is why they are not hiring.