Railroad Forums 

• Horseshoe Curve, PA

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1331396  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Afternoon folks, I am looking into yet another RR journey to add to the books, and this time I think I am setting my sites on Horseshoe curve before I mark up and lose all freedom to the RR for a while lol. I guess my first question would be, is it worth the trip from MA driving? How busy is the traffic thru the area, and what are the best spots for photography, and other points of interest in the surrounding area? I figure I'd try to bang this out in a weekend (full SAT SUN action) any tips or advice, great photo ops would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!
 #1331894  by NYS&W142Fan

I have heard, never been, but it is worth it. If you do go, you can stay at The Station Inn. It is nine miles west of Horseshoe Curve IN Cresson, PA. You can sit on the front porch and watch the trains from there as well.
 #1332195  by photorailfan

It's a very busy line so you will not be disappointed. The curve is not a photogenic spot but it's like an amphitheater when the train pass. It's awesome sound. Getting to the curve though can be tricky. I got lost a few times on the way there. Downtown by the museum, you can watch from three bridges. Further east is a turntable at the shops if you can find it. The Gallitzen tunnel is a great spot also. I met a guy who was working in the caboose by the tracks and found out that he was a volunteer who posted a train schedule. Don't know if volunteers still do that anymore. The Cresson Inn is the place to go in the area.
 #1333260  by num1hendrickfan

Horseshoe Curve, PA, well where to start. First I would recommend a visit to the Railroaders Memorial Museum in downtown Altoona, PA ( there's a discount if you purchase both a ticket to the museum and the curve on the same day ). Altoona offers a lot of photographic opportunities for the railfan, with many bridges that span the tracks ( activity along the line is high so expect a lot of freight action, plus two daily Amtrak trains ). Horseshoe Curve while not the most photogenic location still offers a lot of excellent photographs for the railfan as well. I second the recommendation of Gallitzen tunnel, great photo opportunities exist there and the town even took the time to put viewing holes in the bridge spanning the tracks ( very rainfan friendly feature in my opinion ). As a bonus Altoona, PA is approximately 1 hr driving time away from Cumberland, MD. Why is this important you ask? well the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad is located in Cumberland, MD. If you haven't been to Cumberland or taken a ride on this excellent tourist line I recommend it. They operate both steam and diesel excursion up to Frostburg, MD, with dining options and an excellent carriage museum located in Frostburg.