Railroad Forums 

• New construction on DelMarVa Secondary

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1201705  by BoilerBob

What is the new construction on the DelMarVa Secondary around New Castle County? Is NS planning to double track portions of the existing trackage? Construction is particulary evident around Rt. 7/Bear Corbitt Rd. The ground has been leveled and there seems to be quite a bit of aggregate there.
 #1213403  by Bob Snyder

After 241 views of my question, I think I can reasonably assume that no one knows the answer. However I rode past the construction site yesterday afternoon and saw 2 track panels along side the existing line. It would seem that Norfolk Southern is going to double track the Delmarva secondary as far as the refinery in Delaware City.
 #1216021  by LV124

Bob -

First off, you're looking at the New Castle Secondary Track, not the Delmarva Secondary Track at Route 7/Bear-Corbitt Road. The "double track" your referring to is actually NS extending Tasker Siding (from where it begins/ends at MP WO 7.5). First phase of the construction will run from Rt. 7 to MP WO 7.0. Second phase will be next year to run it from MP WO 7.0 to the TASKER station sign at Washington Street/Rt. 141 in the town of New Castle. It's not double tracking - it's just extending Tasker Siding. The siding extension is actually occupying the site of the other main track that the PRR pulled-up in the late 1960s (after passenger service ended in 1965).