Railroad Forums 

• More OCS F-Units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1124986  by Tadman

According to Canadian Railway Observations' facebook page, NS just picked up four more ex-CN F-units from NRE. Are these to be used as backup power for the current units?
 #1125495  by Espee9180

Couple of rumors:

1) Part mules for the existing F-units.
2) Backup power for the OCS.
3) Diesel backup / HEP for steam program.

I'm betting on #3 for the most possible use.
 #1127911  by MEC407

Allegedly NS is buying this one as well: http://eternalflame1891.deviantart.com/ ... -345946009

Assuming these aren't just parts units, it sounds like NS will have the largest fleet of operable/in-service F-units in North America by the time all is said and done. Who woulda thunk it?! (By "F-units" I mean classic Fs, not F40s, F59s, etc)
 #1128030  by D.Carleton

It's been reported at other sources that NS has acquired three more F-units from NRE: F7As built for C&NW and CN, F7B from CP. This would give NS seven F-units from five railroads (B&O, CGW, C&NW, CP & CN) and two builders (EMD & GMD).
 #1129122  by Missyg24

Heard NS bought an old CN unit, sitting in Illinois last i knew. Still in its faded CN paint.
 #1129632  by SouthernRailway

I assume that NS totally re-does the F units, with just the shell remaining? E.g., the motors, controls, etc. are all brand-new?

E and F units from the '40s and '50s are the best-looking locomotives, in my view; it would be interesting if a current locomotive builder would just make new locomotives in that style.
 #1129640  by MEC407

SouthernRailway wrote:I assume that NS totally re-does the F units, with just the shell remaining? E.g., the motors, controls, etc. are all brand-new?
This page explains what kinds of repairs/upgrades/modifications they've done with their existing Fs: http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_funits.html
 #1160186  by D.Carleton

For the record the last of the "new" F-units, the former C&NW 407, is now in Altoona. We shall see what happens next.
 #1198289  by SouthernRailway

Any chance the NS business train/office car special will be around the Northeast or the Carolinas this year, with the schedule known in advance? What a beautiful train!

I knew that my favorite railroad would provide nothing but the best!