Railroad Forums 

• NORFOLK SOUTHERN's ADMIRAL CAB

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1184912  by MEC407

Thanks Chris!
 #1224913  by esprrfan

Walking out and seeing your leader is a 6900 is like a swift kick in the nads, there isn't 1 good thing about them. What ever mental midget "designed" them should just stick to coloring with the 1st grade fat crayons.
 #1225087  by MEC407

esprrfan, do you operate these locomotives? If so, can you be more specific about why you dislike them?
 #1225103  by bluedash2

I don't work for a RR, but I have read/heard of a lot of crew complaints about the crescent cabs being very loud inside. Plus those units have had brake and electrical problems plaguing them too. The 6920 Veterans unit just broke down Saturday- again.....
 #1226647  by esprrfan

Loud is the least of the issues. The inside door opens to the inside totally opposite every other wide body, while not sounding like a big deal, it is as your then trying to back up stairs with your grip to get out. Along the same line is there is no handholds as your trying to do this backward stairs climbing, not too safe. The handrails to board are about useless after the second step up, next time you see one look at the one on the conductors side attached to the cab it goes straight up the outside of the unit. The switch for the wipers may as well be outside the unit too as they are located right behind the attachment point you see outside. Picture to turn on your car wipers the knob being at the base of your wipers. Well I'll get off the soap box by just saying I think they should never ever do another one.
 #1228793  by 25Hz

Those seem to be issues that could be addressed going forward?

I like the look of it, and i like how the number board area seems to be acting as a "shade" for the front facing windows...

It doesn't look like these are isolated, which could explain the noise issue.... Perhaps that could be fixed as well?
 #1228913  by bluedash2

25Hz wrote:Those seem to be issues that could be addressed going forward?

I like the look of it, and i like how the number board area seems to be acting as a "shade" for the front facing windows...

It doesn't look like these are isolated, which could explain the noise issue.... Perhaps that could be fixed as well?
I am 99.99% sure they are not isolated cabs. In fact, the 70ACe's have the isolated cab but the 70M-2's don't.