Railroad Forums 

• NORFOLK SOUTHERN's ADMIRAL CAB

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1084296  by Mr.S

Could anyone explain NORFOLK SOUTHERN's ADMIRAL CAB,its characteristics,who thought of it, what makes it that special and how can the railfan / model railroader identify this cab from any other SPARTAN CABBED locomotive on the NORFOLK SOUTHERN system?

Mr.S
 #1084486  by scottychaos

(Sorry, but its just irresistible! ;) )

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NORFOLK+SOUTHERN%27s+ADMIRAL+CAB

It looks quite similar to an EMD Spartan cab, the major external spotting features are the "angled" main front windows,
above the nose..that's the dead giveaway for the Admiral cab..
also that number board extension that extends higher than the roofline.

The main point for these changes in the Admiral cab is crew safety during an accident..
clicking the link above, the first hit talks about the crashworthiness of the Admiral cab..

Scot
 #1085274  by Mr.S

Kids, I wouldn't have asked if I saw the postings which I did not, sorry for asking about
NORFOLK SOUTHERN's ADMIRAL CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #1093557  by jgallaway81

As I understand it, the 6900 series engines are not Admiral Cabs. The rebuilt SD40-2's which feature windows sloping in at the BOTTOM are Admiral cabs, they reduce water sticking to the glass when raining, and the idea was floated by a senior NS official who was a retired US Naval officer. A little blurb is mentioned in the Trains issue on locomotives... or the current one with the NKP 765 over Horseshoe Curve.
 #1093564  by scottychaos

jgallaway81 wrote:As I understand it, the 6900 series engines are not Admiral Cabs. The rebuilt SD40-2's which feature windows sloping in at the BOTTOM are Admiral cabs, they reduce water sticking to the glass when raining, and the idea was floated by a senior NS official who was a retired US Naval officer. A little blurb is mentioned in the Trains issue on locomotives... or the current one with the NKP 765 over Horseshoe Curve.
Correct..
the new NS "wide cabs" are not "Admiral cabs"..

Admiral Cab:

Not an Admiral Cab:

The new widecabs dont have a nick-name like the Admiral cabs do..
they are mostly called "NS SD60E cabs"..

Scot
 #1094064  by jgallaway81

The funny part... they increased the bad-weather visibility of the two windows which the crew can't really use. Rules required us to 'remain seated and braced for slack-action unless needed for our duties' those slanted windows are rarely used except by someone without a seat... trainee, road foreman, trainmaster, etc. The windows we NEED to keep clear are still flat and equipped with air-motor wipers and poor (at best) defrosters.

You would think with in excess of 2.3 MEGAWATTS of power on board, a couple amps could be spared off the auxiliary alternators for electric wiper motors and a high-volume blower fan for defrosting/condensation control.
 #1106298  by scottychaos

There is now a name for the new wide cabs! "Crescent Cab"..named after the NS "Crescent Corridor"..

Crescent Cab, a new NS-specific wide-cab design, so far seen only on NS SD60E rebuilds:

Admiral Cab, also NS-specific, so far seen on NS SD40-2 rebuilds, and recent RP-E4C road slugs made from old GP50's:
(note the slanted front windshield and the raised-up number boards..the most obvious "spotting features" of the Admiral cab)

Scot
 #1106314  by MEC407

Just curious: if SD40-2s, SD60s, and GP50s are getting new cabs, how come the SD50 rebuilds (SD50Es) aren't getting new cabs?
 #1106330  by scottychaos

MEC407 wrote:Just curious: if SD40-2s, SD60s, and GP50s are getting new cabs, how come the SD50 rebuilds (SD50Es) aren't getting new cabs?
(The SD50 rebuilds are called SD40E units..there is no such thing as a NS SD50E)
but good question! probably just because they were earlier rebuilds and were mostly completed before these new cabs into play..
looks like only 4 of the 58 planned SD40E rebuilds are still incomplete:

http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd40e.html

Scot
 #1106335  by MEC407

Whoops! I knew that... thanks for catching my typo. I don't want anyone to see that and start rumors about non-existant SD50Es. :wink:
 #1184896  by MEC407

D.Carleton wrote:And now a "Crescent" cab is making its way onto a C40-8: https://www.facebook.com/altoonaworks#! ... =1&theater
Are there any other photos of the Dash 8 with a Crescent cab? I can't get the Facebook photo to load.