Railroad Forums 

• speeding on Cayuga Lake Line?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #91562  by TerryC

Last night there was a train with a Conrail Blue SD60I and a black C40-9W hauling the nomal amount of salt cars towards Sayre PA. There was two odd things about it though. It must have been going almost 40MPH and there was a tank car on the tail end. Why would the train be going so fast and what is in the tank car?
keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

#91580  by johnpbarlow

Where on the Cayuga Lake line? Along the lake? If so, it's not because it's downhill there. ;-)

#91921  by TerryC

The train was going fast in or just after to yard. It was still going fast when I got some photos of it at the Shelter Valley Trailer Park and then we went home. I could still hear it going fast even then.
The yard looks pretty cleaned out with only a few cars there.

keep searching keep finding

?

#92005  by dyardmaster1

How did you determine the train was going 40MPH? Did you time it with mile posts? Did you have radar? What is the timetable speed for the track?
And why are you concerned about what was in the tank car? It's none of your business.

I work for NS and it never ceases to amaze me at the 'foamers' that want to know things about the railroad that serve no purpose to them. And don't assume train speeds and post them on the internet. Again it serves no purpose.

Gary
 #92298  by Noel Weaver

dyardmaster1 wrote:How did you determine the train was going 40MPH? Did you time it with mile posts? Did you have radar? What is the timetable speed for the track?
And why are you concerned about what was in the tank car? It's none of your business.

I work for NS and it never ceases to amaze me at the 'foamers' that want to know things about the railroad that serve no purpose to them. And don't assume train speeds and post them on the internet. Again it serves no purpose.

Gary
I totally agree with this one and second it. Postings like the one referred
to here help to contribute to the dislike of railfans by some railroaders.
It is a ??? shame that a small number of people have to ruin things for
so many others.
Noel Weaver

#92389  by ANDY117

Im not familiar with this area. Is it near Ithaca? I remember seeing a NS a few yyears back hauling lots of hoppers out of a power plant across a lake from Boy Scout Camp. You could feel the ground shaking. That was cool. People thought it was an earthquake...

etc

#93057  by Noel Weaver

TerryC wrote:I am just curoius about the tank car's contents since I have seen them in the yard lately. I have been living near the track for a while and in recent memory I have never seen it go so fast. A 30 car train takes about a minute to pass me and this one took about 30 seconds. From a tenth or a quarter of a mile away a train takes about a minute to reach me. This one took about 20 30 seconds. ANDY117, the branch line runs from Sayre Pennsylvania to Lansing New York. It used to be connected to Syracuse, but a blasted hurricane washed out the rail north of Lansing. It happened in the fifties I believe. I am still somewhat annoyed by Conrail's demise. I want to take photos before it is all black. Belive me, come February with all that white or dirty snow black and white locomotives it can get depressing. I like the Blue and White locomotives much better.

keep searching keep finding
You should read the previous posts.
I think this thread has gone far enough, it should be LOCKED and put out
of its misery.
Noel Weaver

#94004  by charlie6017

As a moderator, I have to say this thread should be removed. Terry, you should think carefully before you post because you have no proof of speed and I am sure the crew was doing their job. To be honest, I don't think such questions are valid forum topics. Len, please kill the thread.

PS,

Mr. DYardmaster1, I'm hoping you realize that while there are "foamers", there are many careful rail enthusiasts out there as well that care for the railroads as well. I just hate the term "foamer", I guess.

#94148  by washingtonsecondary

As a railfan I have to say I personally don't like most other rail fans. Most have an arrogance to them that makes me ill. I don't think rail employees should ever have to explain themselves or their actions to a railfan.

#94601  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:As a railfan I have to say I personally don't like most other rail fans. Most have an arrogance to them that makes me ill. I don't think rail employees should ever have to explain themselves or their actions to a railfan.
HAHAHAHA LOLOLOL

#94636  by washingtonsecondary

And believe me... Your the worst kind, Humpy.

#95074  by Ken W2KB

>>>curoius about the tank car's contents <<<

No big secret, look at the diamond-shaped placard and look up the number on line to see what the cargo is.

#95257  by TerryC

This post has been removed . Tank cars haul alot of diffrent things. Remember this

#95416  by Ken W2KB

Are not all tank cars required to be placarded so the emergency responders know what is in them in the event of an accident or fire? The list I've seen of numbers includes a lot of harmless stuff, not just hazardous materials.
 #97747  by jg greenwood

TerryC wrote:Last night there was a train with a Conrail Blue SD60I and a black C40-9W hauling the nomal amount of salt cars towards Sayre PA. There was two odd things about it though. It must have been going almost 40MPH and there was a tank car on the tail end. Why would the train be going so fast and what is in the tank car?
Please list engine numbers, it eliminates the guesswork! Surely you realize railroad officials need our help in pinpointing crews violating the speed limits. If we're really lucky, they were more than 10- mph over. This would enable us to involve the FRA. Oh boy, mission complete!
KEEP ASKING, KEEP LEARNING!