Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1533058  by MECFAN

Hopefully there's a tie job coming soon as well. Even from that height the splinters are easily visible.
They did 10,000 ties from Rockingham to Newington late summer and fall also some stone and surfacing.
They also had R.J. Corman change out 2 miles of rail up in Newington, they installed the rail they lifted from the passing siding at Rockingham which was much heavier.
Back in 2014 they did 5,000 ties and some surfacing also. Go back to pages 15 to 25 and you'll see photos I took of the 2014 rebuild.

MEC
 #1533074  by b&m 1566

To the unprofessional, untrained eye like myself, I would say that track looks pretty damn good to me. There's one tie at the bottom of the picture, that looks like a stick of dynamite blew it to pieces but that's the only one.
 #1533109  by codasd

What is the requirement for Class II track, one in five ties to keep gauge? Great picture of the track. It looked a lot better than I expected. Earlier on this thread I thought Pan Am was going to upgrade to Class III for the Sea 3 expansion.
 #1533130  by 690

The Portsmouth Branch is never going to be Class III, unless someone else pays for it. All of this was paid for out of Pan Am’s pocket, and now it’s solidly Class 1 track. That’s all it needs to be.
 #1533149  by MEC407

codasd wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 pm Earlier on this thread I thought Pan Am was going to upgrade to Class III for the Sea 3 expansion.
They said in the past that they were going to rehab the track to the equivalent of Class 2 standards but that they would continue to operate trains at Class 1 track speeds.
 #1533157  by Safetee

FRA class 1 track standard is not a maintenance standard, it is the minimum track safety standard for 10 mph operation. Hence track that is rehabbed to meet class 2 or 3 safety standards but operated at class 1 speeds makes long term safety and operating sense.
 #1533287  by newpylong

Those are one in the same - semantics.

Every class of track must meet the standards spelled out in FRA 49 CFR part 213, or they fall to the next class down (or lower)

Pan Am may have said they may maintain to Class 2 to appease the NIMBYs but will never operate at those speeds on the branch. I would doubt it is even up that standard currently.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1533290  by Safetee

The minimum safety standard is the bare bones that you can operate on. To keep a bare bones class one operable you have to be continually tweaking things just to make it safe and compliant and even then derailments can still occur. it's rope a dope railroading at its worst to maintain tracks to the minimum standard. real railroads fix it way above the required class because they don't like coming back every five minutes to regage or replace ties. and if you're hauling a lot of haz mat maintaining track above the fra class makes a lot of cents.
 #1536949  by highrail

I got lucky and caught the local headed to Portsmouth yesterday. A pretty good string of cars, with one lumber, one box car, and about 8 propane. The old Stratham station looks pretty good with colors that are close to the old B&M style!
stratham edited1-7027.jpg
stratham edited1-7027.jpg (959.71 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
 #1536958  by highrail

Hey Jonathan, great clips! I will keep an eye on your page!

As an aside, I will bet that it was the same crew on the train that you caught...there is a bag hanging from the window on each photo...looks like they are keeping their lunch cool :)

Steve