Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1519596  by jaymac

The 0320-0505 time span for the 09-09-2019 report should be taken as an accurate indication of activity being more of the audible than visible type, even that -- for me, at least -- holding until 0336 when D-3 asked AY-3 if they were ready for their runaround -- response unheard by me -- and then asking for them to let him know when they wanted a light at 312.
0538 was the start of a both-sides-garbling FI-2/D-3 exchange, Fi-2 with the 5956 being told they had permission to reverse direction from where they stood, west to CPF-Derby. Kinda sounded like they mighta been at Lafarge, evidence of same to follow. 0345 was more D-3-garbling, mebbe about being lined and locked normal at the Milling, to be followed at 0404 by a breaking 241 to 7541 -- AY-3? -- for 1 at WL.
0349 was when the 333 WLs had been dark, followed in turn at the usual intervals of the 334 ELs at Stop and the 334 1 stagger and 335s being dark.
Darkness also held at the 345s. There were pretty much FP-FP rack loads on Yard 2, Yard 4 being obscured and no changes visible for either the southerly Heywood or House. To save suspense, naught was to be seen or heard to, from, or about 22K. Dunno if they had already yarded or -- more likely -- were holding somewhere.
The post-offering straight shot EB was quiet until 0417 and AY-4's car countdowns, and 3 later, the 333 WLs were still dark. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, and the 330 and GL ELs and the 330 WLs were all at Stop, the FG WLs being dark.
At 0430, FI-2's car countdown was heard, and at 0432, KCIR 5956 was seen shoving shorties EB on East Side, a 3-step and more countdowns to follow.
If 22K was holding at North Leominster, they weren't on the Main Street/Rte. 13 UGB, and no good angle for the EB staggers for Derby offered any positive or negative confirmation a few later.
AY-4 continued to provide proof that the scanner hadn't died, but lack of audio input for or from AYPO or Q426/7 caused some wondering about them.
Never heard anything to, from, or about AYPO, but CSXT 708 reached out to D-3, advising that they were west and clear of Burncoat and tying down at New Bond, D-3 fulfilling Form D G-302 at 0448. Proof of ongoing scanner viability would be provided for the next 17 minutes by AY-4 and Boston West.
 #1519794  by jaymac

Per the GFD Chief, 1236/09-10-2019 was the start of the calls, as reported in the 09-10 Gardner News: :https://www.thegardnernews.com/news/201 ... in-gardner.
The accompanying photos show the car on the 2 west of the Timpany Boulevard UGB. No finding of cause was in the article, just a mention of investigation.
I'm not gawking today, so there's nothing more I can contribute except for thanks to johnpbarlow for his post.
 #1519815  by jaymac

Al LaPierre caught the burned rack http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=252911 after it had been relocated to the House. ED-9 is IDed as passing WB and FI-1's C is eyeballing, FI-1 possibly having spotted the rack on the House.
 #1520066  by jaymac

For 0345-0550/09-14-2019 -- yes, a Saturday report, and no, having naught to to with triskedekaphobia -- there were some surprises. A mix of silence, static, and garble constituted the early listening, it being obvious that there was ongoing yard work, but it not being clear who the workers were.
Clarity emerged at 0405 when the 7.8 announced it was checking train, but since I was already NB on 190, I would not be aging while watching the slo-mo pass in review. The no defects pronouncement wasn't heard, even the Work Zone speed limits on 190 allowing too much distance between the talker and me. There was, however, decreasing distance between me and points to the north/east. At 0408 came a 3-point request for AY-3, the last clearly attributable AY-3 business. 3 later, 22K got advised they were good for either -- not clear to me -- 15 or 50, but unlike AY-3, 22K would be an enduringly IDable presence throughout much of the trip.
At 0419, the 333 WLs were dark, the 334 ELs at Stop the only exception to darkness up to and including the 345s.
At 0433, D-3 would fulfill Form D G302 to Q427 with CSXT 3485, they being west and clear of Burncoat and tying down at New Bond. As for Gardner itself, Yard 4 would have 4 rack loads on the easterly end, and Yard 2 would have 4 MT TTTX flats, also on the easterly end. A day late, the Sameoldsameold Ledger entries continued to be the southerly Heywood's untucked stone and the House's brush-cutter and tank. It probably doesn't qualify for Sameoldsameold status yet, but the burned-out rack and its yellow-tape barricade were also still on the House.
The post-offering-straight-shot-EB proof of ongoing radioactivity came at 0453 when 22K was told the brake test was good. At 0458, the 333 WLs were again dark, 1400 not due out until 0630 and naught else doing any shunting.
Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, while the 330 WLs and ELs and the GL WLs were all at Stop, the FG WLs being dark.
At 0519, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, but further east on West Side by the old layover were the lit number boards for an otherwise dark 3400, probably the NewBlue, but too dark to tell for sure. On the theme of dark, that's what the EB staggers for Derby were at 0525.
Other than occasional yarding transmissions, not much else got to me for the rest of the trip.
 #1520182  by jaymac

For 0325-0515/09-16-2019, there was some juggling of the usual events. Quiet dominated until 0335 when AY-3 with the 7643 got 241d 1 east to 1 FML at the Willows, a hint that the runaround was in progress. At 0350, AYPO reached out to D-3, asking for a signal on east leg of the wye, D-3 advising that it was already in. At 0351, there would be a garbled D-3 reach out, mebbe to BO-1, but naught further heard to, from, or about that crew.
AY-3 got on the air, also at 0351, D-3 advising them to hold on cuz he was dealing with a Form D. At 0403, D-3 would advise AY-3 that he'd head them to West Wye when AYPO had left, no intervening Form D having been heard, at least by me. Mebbe that D was for the West End, a guess prompted by newpylong's 09-15 response to Engineer Spike's post about the Hoosick Junction signals.
Back to chronological order: At 0354, the 333 WLs had been dark, as would be the 334 1 stagger and 335s, the 334 ELs at Stop.
Up Da Hill the 335s were all at Stop, no surprise since POED's backings and forthings had been heard from a few miles away. The power was however-far-west of the Timpany Boulevard UGB, and racks were in motion. Dunno if POED was lifting MTs or fancy dancing was going going on. On the subject of racks, naught would be seen of or heard to, from, or about 22K. The rest of POED's train ran from east of West Switch to between the Dunkses and included covered hoppers, at least 1 Irving centerbeam, presumed paper-service-residue tanks, and slurries. No changes for either the southerly Heywood or House, meaning the burned-out rack continued on display.
The post-offering EB straight shot featured POED until I was outta range, then D-3 answering AYPO at 0424. Their train info was garbled, only the 4876' length being clear, D-3 acknowledged, but didn't repeat the numbers and OKd them on signal indication, wishing them a safe trip to Rigby at 0428.
At 0430, a breaking D-3 would roger whatever had just been said, asking to be advised when they were west and clear of Barbers. Dunno about you, but that sounded to me like Q427 was about to or mebbe had left the property.
At 0431, the 333 WLs were again dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs were at Clear, the 330 WLs and ELs and the GL WLs all at Stop.
The FG WLs were dark, and so was KCIR 5976, sitting solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot at 0443. Darkness continued on the EB staggers for Derby at 0449, and it wasn't until 0459 that a breaking AY-4 was first heard, advising someone -- D-3? AY-3? -- that they were down at the west end and would clear in another 20 minutes.
Only occasional static would fill out the balance of my trip.
 #1520386  by jaymac

For 0320-0525/09-18-2019, the activity was more heard than seen, although the first clear hearing didn't happen until 0339 when D-3 241d AY-3 with the 7545 1 east to 1 at CPF-AY. There would be a number of garbled car countdowns in the near term with a number of possibilities, as will be seen.
At 0350, the 333 WLs were all at Stop, 22K with NSs 7230 and 4079 holding dark on 1. Racks? None that I saw. A minute later, D-3 fulfilled Form D G302 to Q427 with the CSXT 5436, acknowledging that they were clear of the entire territory. The 334 ELs and 1 stagger were all at Stop, the wells extending to the west. The 335 ELs and WLs were also at Stop, wells -- MTs -- extending west of the ELs again. For those keeping track, the tie-handler maintained its post in the 335 lot.
Mount Wachusett now being in a position to exert influence, there was some garble on my way up Da Hill, where the 345 ELs were at Stop, radio silence, however, being in effect. There were WBs sitting on the #2 from west of the Timpany Boulevard UGB to a bit east of the Pratt yard, MT centerbeams and shorties among the visible. What weren't visible were any cars in the yard. Not only did 22K not have any racks to the east, but they hadn't left any for the PW. Well, there was 1 rack-- the burn-out on the House, joined by the tank and brush-cutter, plus the southerly Heywood's untucked stone.
A mini-trip west was undertaken, and the 346 WL -- like the 345 1 WL -- was at Clear. Sitting down by First Street and the power unIDable except for the distinctive GE idle was the headend of a presumed POED. While at Parkers and at 0429, came sounds of D-3 reaching out to FI-2 -- response and follow-up unheard -- and next to AY-6 at San-Val, followed by D-3 calling to AY-6 on Channel 2, total weirdness cuz I can be 20 miles closer to Ayer and not understand D-3 on Channel 2. Again naught further was heard.
On the way EB, a stop was made on the West Main Street side of the the still-OOS Pleasant Street OHB. The MassHighway site alleges that things are in the construction phase, but only Dig Safe markings for water lines and a few panels of temporary cyclone fencing were proof of that.
Sp -- what should happen at 0437 when I was EB and already east of the Pearson Boulevard offramp? Anyone guessing that the 346.6 came on should self-reward with a trip to the nearest Dunks or other similar entity. Had an EB done the triggering or had the presumed POED gotten the light? Answer to follow.
At 0445, the 333 WLs were still at Stop, 22K still on 1 and the Controlled Siding not yet set for the 400 which, a minute later, would call our an Approach at the 334 EL and start making noise for 22K. I had decided to keep ahead of the 400, and saw to the east, a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2 on the 330,8 WBs, a Slow Clear on the 330 1 WL, Medium Approach Medium on the GL Controlled Siding WL, and darkness on the FG WLs.
As a hedzup, a message board was up at John Fitch Highway, advising the seeking of alternate routes starting on 10-07 for paving on Summer Street, hopefully ending the Raised Structures Slalom of late.
At 0456, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, and a minute later, D-3 would start his side of a convo with EDPO -- the EB earlier at the 346.6, stating that 22K was ahead at 333, but would be moving, and after that, EDPO could get down to Fitchburg. Dunno where EDPO was, but it seemed kinda quick for them to have set off racks -- if they had any -- at Gardner. Mebbe that would happen at Fitchburg, FI-1 to do the back-haul.
A couple after that, AY-4 would reach out to D-3, D-3 rogering whatever they'd said. O502 -- and a bit early for 400 to be on the block -- the EB staggers for Derby showed a Stop for and a Clear for 2, a possible answer coming at 0506 with the sounds of FI-2 being busy, mebbe at Derby or Lafarge, That was the same time as AY-4 was also active.
The rest of the trip was pretty much occasional static.
 #1520512  by jaymac

For 0325-0527/09-20-2019, the start was slow, but the finish -- especially as the odd point of closing precision might hint at -- got busy.
Things were quiet except for a bit of 0332 garble, but picked up a bit at 0348 when AY-5 advised D-3 they were on the lead at FG, D-3 OKing them on signal indication and advising that they'd be taking 1 at Gardner. After 22K was outta the way, AY-5 would head west at 346 and then back on 2 to do their work.
Activity continued at 0350 when AYPO with the 7627 started a convo with D-3 about room for set-offs and Tracks 9 and 7, D-3 giving some info back that included 1x41 Watervilles on 7. At 0352, the 333 WLs were dark, the usual progression of Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 334 stagger and 335s holding.
Most of the way up Da Hill came a breaking D-2 241 to POED, deets lost.
The 345 1 EL was already at Approach in anticipation of AY-5, and 22Ks power -- NSs 3652 and 1115 -- was heading west on 2 to reconnect with the rest of the train. There were loaded racks on Yard 2 with general -- hoppers, covered hoppers, and an MT centerbeam -- to the east. The racks on Yard 1 appeared to be MT, and there were company gons extending east onto the Extension. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entries continued to be the southerly Heywood's untucked stone and the House's burned-out rack, tank, and brush-cutter.
The post-offering EB trip featured a 0418 D-3/22K convo, D-3 checking on how they were doing, 22K saying fine, and D-3 further advising that AY-5 was on the way and that as soon as 22K cleared 346, AY-5 would head west, adding that as soon as AY-5 cleared 345, D-3 would put in the signal for 22K. To save suspense, naught further would be heard to, from, or about either 22K or AY-5. There was also an exchange about Track 4 having been MT.
The EB trip was not to 333, but to 335, just in case AY-5 hadn't gotten west yet. As of 0430, the 335 ELs stayed dark, so they were probably well west. The 333 ELs -- yes, E -- were dark at 0435.
Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and a Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL a Slow Approach, the 330 1 WL and the ELs all at Stop, while there was a Medium Approach on the GL Controlled Siding WL.
At 0443, AY-4 would make their presence heard, as they would for much ofthe balance of the trip. The FG WLs were dark, and at 0449, dark, solo, and west-facing KCIR 5976 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and 0455 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark.
Among the unheard had been AY-3 and Q427, 427 taking care of that indirectly at 0509 when the 7.8 came on, timing such that I was the 5th SB vehicle in line at the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing for the combined 0514 announcement of no defects and gate-raising.
As I was pulling into my driveway at 0522, 427 advised D-3 they were running out of time and would tie down at Burncoat without a recrew and were clear of MP X6.
But wait! There's more! AYPO -- remember them? -p gave D-3 their info -- 7627 and 7517, 104 cars (the total given first and then with a 28x76 breakdown), 6312 tons, 6686', hazardous positions, and marker status (armed), D-3 giving them permission on signal indication at WL at 0527.
6k+ tons and 6k+' to 2 units? May Friday the 13 + 7 smile on all those on the FML!
 #1520547  by johnhenry

Friday 2:50 in the afternoon at Gardner. Unit tank train (I am guessing empty ethanol) being pulled off the P&W and straight onto the #2 main heading west, power dual KCIR. Stopped for marker to be attached at the west crossover, revealing empty yard tracks 1 and 2 and racks on east end of 4. P&W power (dual 4 axle units) on yard 4, then headed back south light engine. I guess being empty allowed this power to haul this long train up hill to Gardner.
 #1520694  by jaymac

For 0300-0510/09-23-2019, the earlier-than-usual start produced some items of interest, starting at 0304 with the D-3 side of a convo with FI-2 and the 5976, FI-2 apparently not being able to lock a switch on the #2 somewhere even though they could normal it and D-3 suggesting a Line 13, then some discussions about how a switch could not be called normal if it couldn't be both lined and locked normal, another mention of a Line 13 to declare the switch in reverse, followed by D-3 advising that he'd consult with the Chief and get back to them. If it seems like the resolution might be neither quick nor clearly received by me, then you are an experienced reader and/or listener.
Dunno what had happened with FI-2 in the meantime, but at 0329 and temporarily a bit outta Mount Wachusett's electromagnetic shadow, came a breaking D-3 saying something to Q427, probably a fulfillment of their Form D, power having been heard when I got into my car.
At 0335, the 333 WLs were at Stop and going dark a few later. As will be seen, the conjecture of an EB would get support later. The 334 ELs would be at Stop and the 334 1 stagger and 335s would be dark.
Mount Wachusett again a factor, D-3's 0341 transmission to FI-2 allowed only "electric" and "ready to head west" to be clear. Clearer at 0351 was D-3 telling AY-3 that have to stand by until ED-2 (!?!) was outta the way,
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were at Stop. There was general on Yard 4 and racks on Yard 2. The southerly Heywood's untucked stone and the House's burned-out rack, tank, and brush-cutter remained in place. Post offering, a mini-trip west was made. The 346 WL was also at Stop, with no occupants readily visible either side. Dunno if a short train other than FI-2 mighta been somewhere outta sight or if the 346 and 345s have been changed to constant-on.
The straight shot EB showed the 333 WLs dark at 0421 and in another couple and also in a Zombie Zone, D-3 breakingly reached out to FI-2 again, "#2" and "Derby" being clear.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL a Slow Approach and the ELs all Stops, and the GL Controlled Siding WL a Medium Approach. At 0429, AY-4 would be heard, the first of frequent hearings for the balance of the trip. The FG Wls were dark, and at 0434, the FI-1/2 parking spot was expectably MT.
Over at the Main Street/Rte. 13 UGB, NS 9149 was visible sitting on 2, just east of racks. What and how many mighta been ahead of the 9149 was obscured by trees, but there was a clear view of the Approaches on the EB staggers for Derby at 0442.
At 0445, FI-2 would announce themselves east and clear of FG -- talk about poor timing on my part -- and D-3 would tell them to hold for 400. Just before 0500, D-3 would call out to 22K, asking for the crew info and on-duty time and issuing Form D G304, a Line 13 for NS 7713 to leave North Leominster. Time effect time and yarding instructions? Dunno. I was transiting the the Rte.140/West Boylston-Boylston Line Zombie Zone.
 #1520926  by jaymac

For 0316-0505/09-25-2019, the activity was totally unseen, the 0316 start of events being D-3 rogering whatever AY-3 had just said. Spoiler Alert -- AY-3 would be radio star of the day. There was ample yard activity, but of the unclear and unattributable varieties, clarity returning at 0349 when D-3 241d AY-3 with the 7535 on 1 at CPF-AY east to 1, adding an unclear-to-me question about somewhere being lined and locked normal, the response unheard by me. The 241 coincided with the 333 WLs being dark, the usual pattern holding of the 334 ELs being at Stop and the 1 stagger and 335s being dark.
At 0356, there was are garbled "ready for a Form D?" 0358 was the time effective for a now-clear Form D G302 for Q427 with the CSXT 810 for MP X25 to Burncoat. I had pulled over to a wide shoulder on Rtes. 2A West/31 South just north of Rte. 2, a rewarding decision since -- in a puzzlement of propagation -- I was able to hear not only 427's read-back, but also their train info -- 34x21, 4282 tons, 3210', and 0 hazmat. No residues?
Up Da Hill, the 345s were dark, There was general and a few easterly racks on Yard 4 and MT racks on Yard 2, the southerly Heywood and House having no changes. At 0407, there was a both-sides-audible D-3/22K exchange, D-3 advising that their 5 PWs would go to Track 1 and hedzupping 22K that EDPO was at Tyters. Whether EDPO would be leapfrogging 22K at Gardner I never did hear. The 345s remained dark, and the 346.6 was quiet until 0414, when I was already EB on Rte. 2.
The trip EB featured garble -- mebbe even the 346.6's report -- and a breaking thanks at 0417 from D-3 to 427, probably for advising they were into DCS. To save suspense, naught further would be heard to, from, or about 427 for the balance of my trip.
At 0423, the 333 WLs remained dark, and further east -- along with garbling -- the 330.8 WBs were Clear and the 330 WLs at Stop. The 330 1 EL was at Clear and the the GL WLs at Stop. The FG WLs would be dark, so there was no immediate WB on the 1.
At 0432 had come the words "Far enough FI-2," followed by further FI-2 transmissions, and at 0435, the FI-1/2 parking spot was predictably MT, an actual FI-2 sighting never happening
At 0441, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and unIDable gabling would continue. At 0448, AY-3 would reach out to D-3 on Channel 1, D-3 acknowledging. Further developments went unheard cuzza my increasing distance from AY-3 and Mount Wachusett now between the Paxton antenna and me.
In a break with previous patterns, anything to, from, or about AY-4 went unheard by me.
 #1521111  by jaymac

For 0320-0540/09-27-2019, there was input on both ends of the audiovisual continuum. Things started audibly at at 0322 with another entry for [i[The Annals of Precision Scheduled Railroading[/i] when D-3's side of a convo with Q426 (yes, six) was heard. The 426 with CSXT 885 got OKd into Ayer yard, would hold a job briefing with somebody about the power swap plus something-else-broken-to-me about Harvard Switch.
Quiet became the mode until a 0345 garbled D-2 241 to somebody. To get the important things outta the way, there would be a time-effective-0444 Form D G202 Line 12ing Andover Street, followed in a bit by a separate broadcast report of another gas leak in the South Broadway area of Lawrence, coupled with the word that power had been cut, ostensibly to reduce ignition source and, the probable cause for the Line 12 and mebbe even the earlier 241. It's only a year plus a small plus since the disaster, and there's another gas leak?
At 0350, the 333 WLs were dark, and at 0354, a breaking "AY-4" was heard. The usual pattern of Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 1 stagger and 335s would follow.
As a hedzup, there was a partially informative message board on Rte. 2 WB east of Gardner advising that "Exit 2" would be closed Sunday and Monday, Guessing that would be the exit for Timpany Boulevard to finish off the realignment of the ramps and rotary.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were at Stop, the 345 2 WL at Medium Clear cuz a dimmed 22K was sitting on 2 on toppa the rest of the train after dropping 3 racks on the easterly end of Yard 1 in an otherwise MT yard. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entries continued to be the southerly Heywood's untucked stone and the House's burned-out rack, tank, and brush-cutter.
An offering having been made, a position was taken up in the Jade lot. A 22K/D-3 exchange revealed a length of 8139' with 1 hazmat, and ability to be on the move soon, and permission to accept signal indication. Things got bright, loud and on the move at 0418, NS 9498, CP 8905, and NS 9544 getting a total 12 racks and 105 well-and-table positions onto the Single at 0432. Mid-train there were a coupla MT slots and the last dozen +/- were also MTs.
The straight shot down Da Hill had some garble, plus the earlier-mentioned Line 12.
At 0446, the 333 WLs were dark, 400 -- more about which later -- not yet on the block. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL a Slow Clear and the 330 ELs all at Stop. The GL Controlled Siding WL was at Medium Approach Medium and the FG WLs would be at Stop. While 1 was in between the 330,8s and 330s, 400 and D-3 had had a both-sides-breaking convo at 0452,"335" being clear and mebbe involving PTC.
FI-2 had been radioactive and was working full-size and shortie covered hoppers on West Side at 0501, but the power was obscured by the trees east of the FG ELs.
After a refueling stop, and at 0507, D-3 advised ED-9 -- yes, they're back -- with the 7552 that he'd tale them as soon as 400 was gone. Dunno where ED-9 was and heard nothing further to, from, or about them, save for a solo D-3 shot-out at 0512. The next few were busy: D-3 fulfilled Form D G302 to 426 at 0508, 0509 being the time effective for G305 to now-leader CSXT 5375 for MP X25 to Burncoat. The EB staggers for Derby showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, 400 with a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1051 leaving the platform at 0512 and dropping thew stagger at 0514.
There would be some garbles, and at 0520, D-3 would acknowledge that Q427 was entering DCS territory. 427's update had been broken and acknowledge -- but not repeated -- by D-3.
 #1521276  by jaymac

0320-0510/09-30-2019 started off with a flurry of activity, 0320 and 0322 being when 22K was doing car countdowns. 0421? That was when D-3 fulfilled Form D G309 to a sometimes-breaking Q427 with CSXT 3123 who had announced themselves west and clear of both Burncoat and Barbers. Dunno when, but 309 had to have been made effective -- given both the number and Q427's transit time -- sometime before midnight.
There would be more and occasional noise, only 22K being IDable, and at 0351, the 333 WLs would be dark. 0352 would be when a Zombie-Zoning D-3 would reach out to AY-3 with the 7535, only "signal indication" emerging from the ensuing hash.
The 334 ELs would be at Stop, the 1 stagger, 335s, and 345s dark in sequence.
Up Da Hill, there wasn't anything on the Extension, but pretty much the rest of the yard had occupants -- racks east and general west on 4, MT racks on 2, and 5 rack loads on easterly 1 onto the Yard Lead. Anyone thinking there mighta been changes for either the southerly Heywood or House has optimism in excess of mine. At 0414, a much clearer D-3 would 241 AY-3 1 east at CPF-WL to 1 on the FML, adding that 22K was almost done yarding and would be taking racks to San-Vel, and that he would let 22K know that AY-3 was on the way.
The post-offering straight shot EB was quiet to me except for ~0420 when D-2 told somebody to leave the Nashuas at WA and that he would have a cab for them.
At 0428, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL at Slow Clear. The GL WLs -- dark -- had apparently reverted to being approach-lit. At 0439, D-3 answered AY-3 again, garble following again. The FG WLs were dark, and at 0441, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT. Not only was FI-2 not to be seen, it was not to be heard -- to, from. or about. The same would also apply to AY-4.
At 0447, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and nothing would reach me until 0455 when an again-breaking D-3 reached out to POED with the 7534, only "signal" and "roger that" being subsequently clear.
Naught further reached me until 0507 when D-3 reached out to AY-3, further developments unheard.
 #1521471  by jaymac

For 0320-0535/10-02-2019, things were seen and not just heard, though not much was heard early on. Thanks, PW Dispatcher, St. Albans, for proving that my scanner was working. At 0338, there was some D-Mebbe-2 garble to AYPO, with only occasional static eruptions either side, and at 0340, there would be a mostly-clear 241 to AY-3 with the 7??5 for 1 east to 1 at WL.
At 0351, the 333 WLs were on with a Medium Clear showing for 1. It looked like a 22K recrew was almost done, dark NS 9544, CP 8905, and NS 9498 providing the locomotion. If the numbers seem familiar, they were the power trio for the 09-27 22K. Dunno if that was luck of the draw or if there's a 22K power rotation. 0355 was when things got on the move, 5 racks and a total of 118 well-and-table positions east of the WLs at 0401. There were a coupla MT slots early on, the rear quarter or so being bare. At 0402, D-3 reached out to FI-2, advising they could leave the engine on the cars. There was further discussion, including West Side, 0x19, and holding for 22K to get by before crossing the road. That was also when D-3 rogered AY-3 at West Wye, advising that he'd advise AY-4 they were coming. To save suspense, that would be the only mention heard to, from, or about AY-4.
0403 was when the 1 WL went from Stop to Clear. That -- plus a signal having been called a few earlier for 335 -- prompted an extended stay at the 333 lot. At 0404, D-3 answered Q427 and OKd them off the property, asking them to advise when they were clear. To clear up 427, D-3 would acknowledge them clear at 0413, but I never heard a Form D fulfillment and/or CSXT power. At 0405, the 333 WLs had gone dark, but came back on at 0414, a Clear still showing for 1. The west got loud and bright, and EDPO with KCIR 7897, NewBlue 7552, and KCIR 7575 got 87 east at at 0419. There were 2 decent cuts of shorties, though no Ciment Québec branding was visible. There were also some Brand X open hoppers, and good numbers of both MT centerbeams and Railboxes. Oh, yeah -- a Smurf was in the mix. While EDPO was passing in review, D-3 would advise FI-2 they's be holding for EDPO on 1. Railroading is a waiting game.
At 0419, the 333 WLs went dark, and given the low likelihood of any immediate EB or WB activity, a straight shot up Da Hill was made, where the 345s were and would -- while I was looking -- remain dark. There was a long string of rack loads on Yard 1, more rack loads on at least the easterly end of Yard 2, and general pretty much FP-FP on Yard 4. Dunno if there had been actual attention or just an increase in vehicular traffic, but the southerly Heywood's stone looked mushed down.
For those who can handle only so much change, the burned-out rack, tank, and brush-cutter still occupied the House.
At 0449, D-3 advised 22K they'd keep on moving, the yarding instructions being 1 to 2 to 3, the destination of the racks broken, and the power back to 2.
The straight shot EB was generally quiet, and at 0455, the 333 WLs were at Stop, hinting that 400 might be marginally late. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 WLs at Stop. At 0502, the GL Controlled Siding WL dropped from Medium Approach Medium, 0458 being the Fitcburg advertised, The FG WLs would be at Stop, and at 0505, 400's markers would be EB by the old layover, 0505 being the advertised for North Leominster. That was the same time that KCIR 5948 would be sitting dark and solo on West Side.
At 0512, the EB staggers for Derby would show an Approach for 1 and Stop for 2. 22K's car countdowns would be heard from 0514 and on, but no 40.2 report for the 400 got heard. There was also no Service Alert for the 400, so they were below reporting level.
Your eyes and my fingers hurt.
 #1521641  by jaymac

0320-0520/10-04-2019 had as its theme Timing of the Not-Quite Variety. The were a coupla static eruptions, but the first clear input was visual and at 0327 -- an Irving-wrapped centerbeam WB on the Rtes. 12/140 UGB. Clear audio would come at 0330 when the 7.8 announced he was checking train, and less-clear audio would come at 0334 with a no defects and transmission over.
There would be some random static outbursts, but at 0345, D-2 (yes, two) would clearly call out to AYPO, garble to follow. 0348 would produce darkness on the 333 WLs, followed at intervals by Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 1 stagger and then darkness on the 335s.
0356 would find me about 1/4-mile too far east on Rtes. 2A/31 and still in Mount Wachusett's electromagnetic shadow to get any more than partial clarity when D-3 fulfilled 427's Form D, sounding like he was acknowledging that they were tying down at New Bond.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were at Stop, and the yard was close to crammed -- rack loads on 1 and more racks on 2 and 4, Whether there was any general on 2 and/or 4 dunno. The Extension and Yard Lead were MT. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entries continued to be the burned-out rack, the tank, and the brush-cutter on the House. There was ongoing radio silence, so after an offering of thanks and the observation that the 345s were as red as could be, a short trip west was undertaken where -- at 0421 -- the 346 WL was also at Stop, naught immediately east visible.
The trip EB showed the 345s dark at 0428, so a WB had probably gone through on signal indication. The 346.6? Possibly OOS, or equally possible part of the earlier static.
At 0432 and with Mount Wachusett doing its Loki-like prankster bit again, bits and pieces of a D-3/FI-2 convo emerged, involving a possible need for a Form D, a job briefing with a foreman about a Line 4, permission to reverse directions where FI-2 stood within the limits of FG east to FME, and getting cars.
At 0436, the 333 WLs would remain dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed Clears and the 330 WLs Stops, the GL and FG WLs being dark. At 0448 came the first clear hearing of 22K doing car countdowns, and at 0450, the FI-1/2 parking spot was predictably MT, reasons to follow.
As a repeated hedzup, the message board on Summer Street by the FG WLs/John Fitch Highway intersection was still advising the seeking of an alternate route cuzza paving starting 10-07.
At 0454 and during intervals in 22K's transmission, there was a continuation of the D-3/FI-2-with-the-5948 convo. The job briefing had been done, foreman permission was given on the Line 4, a 241 was given at FG east to FME along with another permission to reverse direction from where FI-2 stood. Just guessing, but FI-2 had probably been solo and outta sight behind the trees along Summer Street by the FG ELs.
0456 would be when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and at 0505, D-3 would call out to EDPO, Mount Wachusett again intervening in any near-term additional receptions.
Wow! Dunno about 10-03, but both 10-02 and 10-04 had both 427 and AYPO outta the way of 22K, which could be outta the way of 400 and mebbe even EDPO!