Railroad Forums 

• Derail at Shirley MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#66652  by NellsChoo

Word on the street is that the night of 11/5 or 6 there was a derailment in the Slab City area of Shirley MA. Supposedly 2 wheels of a boxcar went off the tracks. Sunday MBTA trains were being diverted at once point due to testing on the effected rails.

Anyone know more?

Jonelle

#66852  by mick

Right,
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#67013  by NellsChoo

HA! So it was a circus, eh? How could this happen on T rail? Isn't that all new stuff down there?
 #67381  by GP40MC1118

The derailment had nothing to do with the track. It was a defect with the tankcar.

Actually everyone was lucky on this one. MOPO was only doing about 30MPH and luckily the tankcar was the only thing that went off.

Dave

#67451  by NellsChoo

Ah yes, I guess I didn't read close enough :wink:

How did they get the situation fixed? Did they use any interesting equipment?
 #68440  by 130MM

NellsChoo wrote:Ah yes, I guess I didn't read close enough :wink:

How did they get the situation fixed? Did they use any interesting equipment?
From what I heard a bucket loader was brought in, the truck was taken out from under the car, a new wheel set was installed, the truck was pushed back under the car, and away it went. Track was restored to service to service without restriction. i.e. about 100 ties mashed up, but not enough in a row to require a restriction.

#69371  by NellsChoo

Where are spare wheel sets stored? I have seen two large flatbed trucks drive past work hauling wheels towards Billerica. Are they stored at Iron Horse Park, or was this a coincedance (spelled wrong...)