Railroad Forums 

• Help needed! Looking for GRS photos and information

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#65168  by fishkindman

Hi guys, new poster on here.

I'm based in Edinburgh, Scotland. As you can imagine it's quite hard to get info on US railroads over here - So it's a case of the WWW to the rescue.

I'm trying to create a model railroad which will feature Guilford as it's main freight operator. I've been searching the WWW trying to find photos of typical day to day operations showing locos, stock etc. Not much luck!

Anyone know where/if there is such a place on the WWW? Or anyone out there with photos they are willing to email me?

Also trying to find out location of an interchange yard where Guilford runs into, preferably in Boston area?

Anyone help.

Thanks
Phil

#65178  by octr202

There are a huge number of Guilford photos here:

http://photos.nerail.org/

Go to search by railroad, and you'll see a number of entries for Guilford. There are also quite a few of the predecessor roads too.

#65188  by fishkindman

octr202 wrote:There are a huge number of Guilford photos here:

http://photos.nerail.org/

Go to search by railroad, and you'll see a number of entries for Guilford. There are also quite a few of the predecessor roads too.
That will be the 700 or so pics that are gradually downloading to my hard drive then!

Thanks

Phil

#66656  by NellsChoo

I agree that NErail is a very good place to see photos! :-)

You should build an auto unloading facility to mimic the one in Ayer for Ford. Also, Hill Yard in Ayer does intermodel work. These operations would be correct for a Guilford layout.

Jonelle
 #66665  by fishkindman

Thanks for the links guys!

Can finally get on with painting/detailing the locos I have stripped ready to do. Still trying to find out more on Guilford operations in the Boston area. Do they have yard facilities somewhere there?

The idea was that the north - south link acros the city was funded and
built with city funds. This meant a circular route serving the city
commuters was possible.

Railroads involved? Amtrack, CSX, Guilford and CN with a local operator
contracted for local freight trips. (CN because I gained a bucketfull of it from a relative in Canada)

Size wise, a large Auto facility is a no, only have a loft 17'x12' to work in, with access up into the centre area the only possible.

Phil

#66680  by NellsChoo

Guilford rarely ventures near Boston anymore. They have Hill Yard in Ayer MA, East Deerfield yard in (yup) East Deerfield MA, Rigby Yard in Portland ME, and a few others I have yet to see in person, but I am sure other folks can tell you about.

Can you fit some food related industries on your layout? Ayer has an industrial area that requires Guilford to pick up and drop off tanks and hoppers of raw food materials. They also work Veryfine. They get corn syrup.

#66842  by mick

Although
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

#67017  by NellsChoo

LOSA? That must be Lowell to Salem? And DOBO is Dover to Boston? Yes? No? Seems like odd routes... Where does the Boston switcher stay when not working?

#67150  by CSX Conductor

I beleive DOBO is the sand train(maybe with NHN power?!?). In the early to mid 90's I remember seeing it many times, it would take the Wildcat Branch to the Lowell line and into Boston. The return trip would be straight up the Haverhill Lin the entire way in the wee hours of the morning.

#67407  by camster202

I believe either LOSA returns to Lowell after work is done or lays over in Salem. I hear reports about that quite often; course now Guilford has taken to canning locals absolutely everywhere imaginable. With this power issue they have, a local serving a couple customers in Boston is lower on the priority list than supplying ten road freights with enough engines! (which will actually stay running!)

#67438  by Engineer Spike

If you want foreign power, the Fitchburg line is best. Guiford connects with CSX in Worcester and Rotterdam Jct. They also connect with Delaware and Hudson/Canadian Pacific in Mechanicville, NY. Much NS power comes via D&H.
For CN, the Connecticut River line is best. Part of this line is joint with the Central Vermont, which was owned by CN. Now it is a short line, but CN power is still possible.