Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1415039  by newpylong

Majority of current speed restrictions are due to crossings, turnouts, bridges and other geometry issues, not ties.
 #1421142  by lexon

Rail Trail tunnel progress. Looking for forward to this. I remember for some time carrying my bike across two sets of tracks. When Amtrak started, I biked around via local streets.

https://trainsinthevalley.org/northampton-underpass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of steel work when I biked by a number of times.

Rich
 #1421417  by H.F.Malone

Story behind a paywall. Naugy not consulted on this move--- what's the actual height/width dimensions that's too much for the Naugy?
 #1421437  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Springfield Line full-highs and Hartford Station canopies prevent getting anything to Berlin Jct. onto the Highland. Ditto full-highs + catenary on New Haven Line for reaching Waterbury from the south. So they have take it Springfield-south absolutely no further than Hartford Yard before transloading to truck. In this case Bradley was easiest for staging that.
 #1421649  by H.F.Malone

Must have been the width this time-- NAUG just moved 3 transformers that were 17-2 OTR.
 #1421666  by J.D. Lang

According to the article in Tuesdays Rep-Am that I read the turbines are 31ft. long, 14 1/2ft. tall 13 1/2ft. wide and weighed & between 250-300 tons each.

J.L.
 #1421676  by H.F.Malone

The width is the killer there. Thanks for the info. Wonder if these came via Schnabel car?
 #1430238  by GU1001

My son & I were out riding our bikes in Northampton a couple weeks ago. We swung by the underpass construction site. The shoe-fly was removed completely & in its place was welded rail on new ties & deep fresh ballast.

This area had been left with the old jointed rail in place when the line was rebuilt in anticipation of the tunnel construction. They dropped lengths of welded rail which had been sitting in the weeds until recently.

When I had seen the Vermonter negotiating the shoe-fly, they traversed it at maybe 5mph. I imagine it must be helping time keeping with the track work complete. I'm not certain, but there may still be a speed restriction here due to the ongoing tunnel construction.

Does anyone know what's still left to do to bring the project to completion?

Some photos posted here:
https://trainsinthevalley.org/northampton-underpass/
 #1430257  by Arlington

That linked page is quirky: photos at top run recent-to-old but paragraphs at bottom run oldest-to-new:
Early April 2017 — a long section of new track is being built above the completed half of the underpass. This track will be cut-in to the main line and the shoofly track that was constructed last November will be removed. Once this happens the western half of the underpass will be constructed.
 #1430339  by GU1001

The tunnel construction is ongoing & I've seen tree removal still in progress in Deerfield this spring.
Does anyone know what's left on the list to finish the rehab of the conn river line in MA?
 #1431264  by lexon

One fellow I talked to said the rail was moved to one side for this install. Have not verified this yet. No idea who he heard it from or how much the rail was shifted.
I bike by there regularly.

Rich
 #1431324  by GU1001

From what I had seen, the single track section that was still jointed rail was shifted over to where the old 2nd track used to be. Probably pulled over with loaders or other heavy equipment & then re-surfaced. When the first half of the tunnel was complete, track crews laid out new ties & the lengths of welded rail over where the track was originally. They then cut over to the new section of track & removed the old section. There are some pics showing this if you look around here https://trainsinthevalley.org/northampton-underpass/.
I had noticed that the freight track past the station had been gathering rust over the winter. Wonder if the construction somehow interfered with its use? Anyway the rails are shiny again so all seems back to normal.
 #1431423  by EDFLD Bill

That new piece of track from CPR-18 north to a point 100' south of MP S-18 was built by the contractor that is building the bike tunnel (Northern Construction from Palmer). It was surfaced and lined by C&G. Both are MassDOT contractors...

And the "Freight Track" as you call it, is actually the Controlled Siding and is mostly only used to make meets when necessary.