Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#866104  by Hoopyfrood

I wonder if they are putting some hours and maintenance into them to see if they can sell them as fully operational units instead of scrap. They'd be worth a lot more to a short line or as a switcher running and healthy than they would be to the scrapper's torch.
 #866134  by calaisbranch

This morning, SAPPI-3 had the 77s+72n once again with a 20-car train leaving the mill for Waterville around 10:35am. I wasn't close enough to hear what WA-2 was using today, but they had the lash-up with the 71 last week. I hope PAR does find a buyer for some of the GP9s. Reminds me of growing up on the CV watching those 9s running long-hood-forward all the time down along the Willimantic River in Tolland County.
 #866146  by MEC407

Hoopyfrood wrote:I wonder if they are putting some hours and maintenance into them to see if they can sell them as fully operational units instead of scrap. They'd be worth a lot more to a short line or as a switcher running and healthy than they would be to the scrapper's torch.
That's a good point. A running, blue-carded 4-axle EMD is worth a lot of money these days, even if it's an old one with a few gremlins.

The other scenario is that they need to get more GP40s out of the deadline and back on the road before they can rid themselves of the non-40-series units.

Quoting from the latest issue of the company newsletter:
William A. Wallace, General Manager of Locomotives wrote:After retiring our remaining GP7s, GP9s, GP35s, SD26s, SD39 and SD45, the new roster will consist of fifty-four (54) GP40s, twenty (20) GP40-2s and twenty (20) SD40-2s.
 #866305  by KSmitty

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:So I guess that answers the question of what pan am is calling the sd's...
Not nessicarily (however you spell that word,) if you read that particular "Clipper" you'll find that much information on the "new" SD40's is from wikipedia, as well as the fact that SD40-2 is written as SD-40-2 several times. You will also find that things like all 8 GP9's are referred to as just that, GP9's even though 4 are actually rebuilt GP9's that B&M called GP9r's and came with a 50hp upgrade and redone electrical equipment.

As was pointed out to me in previously here, the "clipper" is more for show and for employees than for railfans to nit pick. The inconsistencies and general information are just intended to give an overview of what going on, and are just that, too general to make any definite conclusions about locomotive model designations.

Oh for a time when it was a simple, 2 fans above the blister 3 more on the rear and no flares, all riding on six axle trucks, an SD40 plain & simple! No M's and T's or -2's and -3's... :wink:
 #868841  by calaisbranch

After a quick visit to Northern Maine Junction this morning, I got myself positioned out in Newport for when SAPPI-3 was to call in to head for Waterville. As we know, the 77 and 72 have been in command of that run the past couple weekends. Just before 10:40a, MD-1 called just west of Waterville with #77 on the point while heading to the Madison Branch. Oh well, so much for SAPPI having it, but we'd wait. SAPPI called D1 just before 11a and had 348 on the point. Glad I hadn't gone all the way to Waterville, I was back at NMJ before MD-1 called for the FORM D up to Madison. Low and behold, 212 was leading! While being a little pissed having turned down the chance, dark overcast conditions quickly reminded me that the shots would have sucked anyway. Nonetheless, glad to hear something else cool was running a local out of the Waterville area today.
 #868969  by bm1838

I happend to be in Waterville Today as well... Not much going on a train came in with 511, 314, 604, and 374 I think POWA???
Cruised through waterville yard, ST 54 idling away by main entrance, 212 and 77 on SAPPI3 as you mentioned. Went by the deadline note to all the following are all whitelined now, 15, 12, 621, 643, 210, 208, 207, 214.... ST 45 and 62 remain in the deadline but not yet whitelined. Out back PAR 2 was dragged out and being washed... inside the roundhouse appeared to be possible 71 and 72?? 381 was around as well as several other units.

We follow the 77 to Oakland and got some great footage, the engineer put on quite a show on a overpass enclouding us with black smoke from 77 and 212 in notch 8! I will try to upload the video to youtube within the next week....

Cory
 #869646  by Otto Vondrak

#872087  by calaisbranch

In the Waterville area this past Saturday, I was psyched to see 54 in the yard and eventually working later in the day. As for 71, 72 and 77. No sign of them. None were on SAPPI-2(502s+312n) or MD-1. Thankfully, no additions in the dead line other than what was already there. Damn sad to see oldies like 12, 15 and 45 among many, though. 621 and 643 are there and cannibalized. Here are a few pics of the 54.....

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 825475.jpg

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 225560.jpg

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 226346.jpg
 #872138  by bm1838

The 71 72 77 were more than likely in the round house, thats where the 71 and 72 were the day I was up there a week ago...

Cory
 #876066  by Guilford Guy9887

I live in Biddeford and the door to my apartment is 50 feet from the tracks. I see everything that goes by perfectly! Check out some of my videos on YouTube. My user name is jamiemouzas.
 #895755  by scrumdiddley92

Sunday, SAPPI-1 had #71 on the southbound lead once again. Recently 77 had been on here, too. However, there's been no regular pattern with the 9s.