Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1325532  by bml54

lately you can't et any dead line pics from the parking lot by the office building 3 days in a row there has been the 72 or the 340 with a train blocking the dead line from view.
 #1327098  by Reader#108

Wait a second...............who is this guy with the 15 and the 27............

uneducated apparently...........

15 was scrapped eons ago.......

and 27 has been reactivated............GO TO CONWAY SCENIC AND SEE IT............

now known as 573.............since 1996!!!!!!!!!!

EDUCATE YOURSELF
 #1361661  by NJRAILNUT

Excuse me if this is slightly off topic, but I was under the impression that the only two 1st generation (aka GP7/9s) diesels left on the Pan Am active roster were the 52 and 77 heritage units. Has 72 still been kicking around all this time or have the recently pulled it from the deadline and put it back in service?
 #1361663  by KSmitty

Its been kicking.
They are (52, 72, 77) are the only 3 left on the active roster, but another 3 (51, 62, 71) remain on the property at Waterville. Long OOS and suspected retired.
 #1394111  by BM6569

Friday was a special day. the 501 and 506 crapped out on WAPO and the train became disabled that morning around Winthrop. Listening on my scanner, WA-1 52 (and 72) was summoned to push it to Leeds Jct! I immediately went out and caught it just after they arrived. WA-1 then uncoupled and went back to Waterville. I chased them to Readfield. Very rare to see these engines west of Waterville!

These 3 were taken at Cressey

#1394119  by MEC407

Great catch! I would've loved to have seen/heard that.
 #1417508  by MEC407

Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqvzfJC9PI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1417553  by shadyjay

MEC407 wrote:Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqvzfJC9PI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool video! Check out around 6:32... the flashers stop flashing on the assembly closest to the camera for a couple seconds, even with a train on the circuit. Not sure if its a glitch with that one signal, or if the farther one is doing it as well.
 #1417570  by MEC407

That seems to be an issue with a very large number of their LED-based crossing lights. I've seen the exact same issue at several crossings on the Downeaster route. The issue did NOT exist during the first few years after the 2001 track rehab; I began to notice it maybe three or four years ago. And it's not at every single crossing, but I've seen it at probably more than half of the crossings between Scarborough and Dover. I mentioned it to NNEPRA once, but as with every other email I've ever sent to them, I received no reply.

(Perhaps they figure "as long as the lights work at least intermittently, that's good enough")
 #1417606  by Dick H

Quite a bit of speculation that once most of the GE's are up and running, that
there will be at least a mothballing or even a retirement/purge of a number
of existing locomotives, Let's hope that the chant of these three classic EMD
GP-9 locos will be heard on PAR for many years to come. Great vudeo.