Railroad Forums 

• Status of the GP7s and GP9s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1291958  by newpylong

Lime Street, Adams Industrial. Pulling loads from SMI.

The Buskirk one we were coming back after switching Agway in Scoke.
 #1296087  by newpylong

Sounds like they are trading some deadline for some running?

That doesn't bode well for the running 9's if they need parts.
 #1296106  by MEC407

It's RumorPace, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I'd imagine they've still got a pretty big stockpile of parts on site. Even after they retired the last of the U-Boats they still had a lot of GE parts leftover, which they ended up selling separately.

Some of the more modern items used in the 40-series can also be used in the older GPs, such as traction motors and possibly power assemblies.

That reminds me. What ever happened to the ex-NHN GP9 they acquired? Was it scrapped?
 #1296109  by oibu

I would -guess- some of the dead geeps. Doesn't seem like they'd have bothered to reactivate 52 2 months before it leaves the building. As for parts, how many Geeps has Waterville stripped/scrapped over the years? And don't all of the remaining 9s have 645 power asemblies per B&M rebuilding? I wouldn't be surprised if there are more parts for those units stockpiled in the back corners of Waterville than anywhere on the planet.
 #1296128  by MEC407

The frames and trucks, if they aren't damaged, still have a lot of value as genset/ECO fodder. Carbody too if it's not rotted through.
 #1296178  by Dick H

The NHN 1756 was purchased by GRS for parts to rebuild the ST 62.
I am not sure if they ever got the 62 running, but if so, it did not
last long. There were stories that the remains of the 1756 would
be used for a home built slug, but that never happened and the
remainder of the 1756 was scrapped.
 #1296193  by MEC407

Thanks, Dick!
 #1296202  by 690

Speaking of GP9's, the 72 is tied down in Readfield, by the Luce Rd, with several ballast hoppers.
 #1324693  by bml54

recently par has been using the 72 on main line runs on district 1 whats made them change there minds and the 15 and 27 might be coming back from the dead with the 300,308,500,and 513 the 15 and 27 might be turned into csx style slugs and does any one know what happened to the old slug rom the Guilford days because I can't find what happened t it.
 #1324740  by 690

bml54 wrote:recently par has been using the 72 on main line runs on district 1 whats made them change there minds and the 15 and 27 might be coming back from the dead with the 300,308,500,and 513 the 15 and 27 might be turned into csx style slugs and does any one know what happened to the old slug rom the Guilford days because I can't find what happened t it.
I'm assuming (which is never safe when it comes to Pan Am) that the 72 was running on WANM/NMWA because they either needed the power, or it had gone up to Detroit on WA-2, and was picked up by WANM and made the trip up.

15 was scrapped several years ago, and it has been even longer for the 27. Both are history. The original slug (100) from the B&M was scrapped a while ago. The 500 and 513 are supposed to go to Paducah for rebuild, and the 300 and 308 will either be traded to LTE, sent to Paducah or scrapped. So far as I know, there are no plans for slugs.
 #1324798  by KSmitty

690 wrote:...and the 300 and 308 will either be traded to LTE, sent to Paducah or scrapped. So far as I know, there are no plans for slugs.
I thought the 300 had been cut up already? Bill hasn't listed it on a monthly in 2015.

Slugs? Lol, no way.