Railroad Forums 

• Ex-UP power at E Deerfield

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#63199  by NellsChoo

Spotted an ex-Union Pacific engine at East Deerfield this past weekend. It was lettered NEGS. There is a chance it was not actually running, as even the number board lights were not on (and it was dark outside). It was part of a string of about 4-5 GRS engines...

Anyone know why it was there?

JD

#63241  by FatNoah

NEGS? Is that the New England Southern railroad?

#63427  by FatNoah

Wow! That's a snazzy loco for NEGS! Thanks for the pics.

#63439  by octr202

You know the old Geep 7's & 9's aren't long for the world when GP38's and 39's become the new shortline power...first NHN, now NEGS too.

#63448  by mick

I wonder if it is one of the ex-Guilford-B&M-exexD&H GP-39-2's , the 350-369 series, that Guilford sold ( or gave up the lease on ) in the early 90's.

#63449  by mick

Those engines did go to the UP, that's why I am curious.

#63530  by wolfmom69

engine's "pedigree" is NOT D&H/GRS,but was an original MKT unit. Bud :-)
 #63746  by nhguy21

Yes, this will is a locomotive that was in tranist. It is now on New England Southern working frieghts in between Concord and Manchester, NH

Josh

#63763  by NellsChoo

Gotcha! So we got to see a teenie tiny bit of railroad history! HA! :wink: Will it get a repaint?

#63828  by nhguy21

I doubt it will get painted, but who knows. NEGS now has 3 engines: 503 (Ex RI) GP-18 high-nose (Painted Green with NEGS logo), 566 GP-10 (Ex-CR) still in CR blue and now 2370 (Ex Up nee MKT)

Josh

#67406  by camster202

Doesn't seem to me like a shortline really cares about painting their power; if I were running one I sure wouldn't. I care more about moving freight on time then worrying if my engines are painted. But, on the other hand, as you saw with the NHN GP38, if they all get together you may see it get painted.

Appears that 503's getting toward the end of it's days, most likely now since 2370 is on the premises.