Railroad Forums 

• Activity on the Mountain Branch (Portland to Westbrook)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1325868  by festis

a couple of interesting sightings in the last couple of months....

Earlier this winter there was a RailBox Hi-Cube sitting on the siding behind where the new Bill Dodge BMW dealership is being built. Sat there for a couple of weeks. Wonder if it was for the construction job? or maybe just a bad order off the local?

Last week I spotted a tank on the siding just west of Larrabee Road. I think it was at the Dead River facility, so an LPG or LNG load?

Either of the above would be the first non-Sappi revenue movement on the Branch that I can recall in the last 10 years. I have seen a load or two of ballast come out of Pike, but I assumed that was for internal consumption.
 #1325889  by newpylong

LNG isnt moved by rail so it had to be LPG if that is still Dead River.

Osterman propane down in Adams, MA has been inquiring with the RR as of late about getting their switch put back in but the RR has basically laughed at them. But it shows the smaller distribution facilities are looking to capitalize on incoming rail again.
 #1326157  by Hux

newpylong wrote:LNG isnt moved by rail so it had to be LPG if that is still Dead River.

Osterman propane down in Adams, MA has been inquiring with the RR as of late about getting their switch put back in but the RR has basically laughed at them. But it shows the smaller distribution facilities are looking to capitalize on incoming rail again.
Seriously? Geez, it's not like they would be going out of their way since they look to be doing considerable business in the immediate vicinity anyway. How much does it cost to cut in a switch panel anyway?
 #1326162  by CN9634

Hux wrote:
newpylong wrote:LNG isnt moved by rail so it had to be LPG if that is still Dead River.

Seriously? Geez, it's not like they would be going out of their way since they look to be doing considerable business in the immediate vicinity anyway. How much does it cost to cut in a switch panel anyway?
A switch (just one) can run you 60K or more for materials and labor. Maintaining a frog is also a cost on top of normal track. The 'it isnt that hard to throw in a switch' argument doesn't always tread water
 #1326240  by CPF363

One would think that the railroad would be able to come up with enough parts from around the system to make up a complete switch so that they could serve this customer.
 #1326244  by newpylong

You would think so. I believe it also had to do with not being able to give them the service they wanted based on frequency. With two locals based out of North Adams that doesn't really hold water either. One more customer would really make the branch viable for a switch each day.
 #1326283  by gokeefe

festis wrote:Either of the above would be the first non-Sappi revenue movement on the Branch that I can recall in the last 10 years. I have seen a load or two of ballast come out of Pike, but I assumed that was for internal consumption.
I agree those are both significant. The LPG load in particular as that has recently become a significant part of PARs business everywhere. Propane is often replacing oil fired heat currently brought in by tanker. If you can imagine how many rail cars of propane it takes to replace oil loads by the tanker than I think we have an idea of the upper bounds that this business has.
 #1326301  by newpylong

Has it been confirmed that Dead River got a propane load?

What is the spur that curves to the north just west of Seavey Street and has a small overgrown yard and then a switchback into Sappi? Was that the old outbound yard?

Also, who were the customers on each side of the Dead River track? The one to the west says "Maine Academy of Gymanstics" now and the two to the east nothing.

Does the large facility off Pine Tree Industrial parkway get cars?

How about the propane? place right across from PTC?

Thanks in advance. Looks like this was a dense rail area at one time - fascinating.
 #1326315  by festis

Mikejf wrote:Pike hasn't loaded any railcars since the purchase of the location from Blue Rock that I am aware of. They would have to load on the main now, as the siding has been OOS for a long time
"main" is a stretch at this point :-D I think of it as a 5 mile long siding from Portland to Westbrook...

Pan Am had a hopper of ballast derail out on the Mountain Branch a few years ago...my memory fails me as to exactly when. I assumed at the time they had grabbed it from Pike, only because I could think of no other reason they would be hauling it around out in these parts. I could be completely wrong, you know what they say about assume....
 #1326330  by MEC407

newpylong wrote:Looks like this was a dense rail area at one time
Very much so. It kind of gives you an idea of why it made sense for BM and MEC to have a Portland Terminal subsidiary to serve all the industries in Portland, South Portland, and Westbrook.
 #1326536  by Mikejf

festis wrote: "main" is a stretch at this point :-D I think of it as a 5 mile long siding from Portland to Westbrook...
Now THAT is funny. No doubt the derailed something out there. The track is starting to get more waves in it than Casco Bay. But they stopped crushing at Pike about 5 years ago or more. So doubtful that a load of Ballast left there.
 #1328251  by bwparker1

MEC407 wrote:
newpylong wrote:Looks like this was a dense rail area at one time
Very much so. It kind of gives you an idea of why it made sense for BM and MEC to have a Portland Terminal subsidiary to serve all the industries in Portland, South Portland, and Westbrook.
There is a reproduction map around that shows the Portland Terminal trackage at the time. There was an unbelievable amount of business back then. It was post WWII.

Does anyone know if you can still purchase that map at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad museum?