Railroad Forums 

• PAR SD40-2s (MEC 600 series and 3400 series)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#830651  by guilford88panam

roberttosh wrote:You'd think with all these "new" locomotives rolling onto the property, the power situation would have somewhat stabilized, yet just today was told by someone in the Trans Dept that the power situation is real bad right now (as is the crew situation). Was also told that a lot of this new 6-axle power is in pretty bad shape and that some of these units may be canibilized pretty quickly to keep the other ones going.
Wait so these "new" units have been bought by PAR? 10 more? If your right about the shape they are in I'd say two for the deadline? lol
 #830659  by KSmitty

guilford88panam wrote:Wait so these "new" units have been bought by PAR? 10 more? If your right about the shape they are in I'd say two for the deadline? lol
Yeps, PAR has purchased 20 locomotives in the last 4 months, 10 from KCS/KCSM/TFM and 10 from Helm Leasing. I can't attest to the condition of this most recent batch, but the fact that of the original 10 most have been repainted and all but the 603 is in service says that atleast the KCS units were purchased to run, not for parts.
 #830678  by newpylong

The first batch are all decent engines and won't be cannibalized. They are still def. power short. The empty coal train today backed off on the Conn River and the NS power was stolen for another job.
 #830690  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:The first batch are all decent engines and won't be cannibalized. They are still def. power short. The empty coal train today backed off on the Conn River and the NS power was stolen for another job.
What about the second batch Newpy? Are they decent, or do you not know yet?

If they are so power short, will the 20 "new locomotives" solve the problem or should we look to see more purchased soon? Or maybe a few of the Prancing Pony's stored locomotives will show up for service on the PAS portion of the railroad.
 #830927  by guilford88panam

KSmitty wrote:
guilford88panam wrote:Wait so these "new" units have been bought by PAR? 10 more? If your right about the shape they are in I'd say two for the deadline? lol
Yeps, PAR has purchased 20 locomotives in the last 4 months, 10 from KCS/KCSM/TFM and 10 from Helm Leasing. I can't attest to the condition of this most recent batch, but the fact that of the original 10 most have been repainted and all but the 603 is in service says that atleast the KCS units were purchased to run, not for parts.
Thanks, I knew they bought the KCS ones a couple months ago. Ive seen a few at Rigby but the Helm purchase is recent news to me. I'm glad to see even more 6 packs. Just wish they would invest in a couple sd70m-2's :p
 #830970  by MEC407

guilford88panam wrote:Just wish they would invest in a couple sd70m-2's :p
Keep wishing. :wink: They could purchase 25 SD40-2s for the price of one SD70M-2.
 #831318  by guilford88panam

MEC407 wrote:
guilford88panam wrote:Just wish they would invest in a couple sd70m-2's :p
Keep wishing. :wink: They could purchase 25 SD40-2s for the price of one SD70M-2.
Hahaha, I know. It's just a wish :p
 #831419  by moth

They have been renumbered. 615 and 616 were in 3rd and 4th position on a train heading west along messalonski at noon today. I was working so I could not get pictures, chase in the boat, or find out much else. I think it was 6 engines and maybe close to 100 cars. I don't know track speeds but it could be getting to Danville or Portland soon.
 #831916  by moth

612 is leading a westbound train that is currently going by my camp on messalonski lake. Maybe 3/4 to a mile long based on whistle blows. It is tough to see much at night.
 #833307  by MEC407

The paint is in really excellent condition on some of those units. It's kind of a shame that they'll be repainted.
 #833318  by Mcoov

Why do the decks on these locomotives seem shorter than that of a standard SD40-2? They look like those off a Geep.