Railroad Forums 

• PAR SD40-2s (MEC 600 series and 3400 series)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1167414  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:Are all 10 of the Helm SD40-2s on the property now?
There was a post on train orders yesterday showing MEC 612 and HLCX 8145 (PAR leased) in Willard, OH on CSX. So the simple answer is, no all 10 units are not on Pan Am.

However, I believe they have all been accepted by PAR and should all be working for PAR. So either on Pan Am lines or on foreign roads as HPH payback units.
 #1167416  by MEC407

Yes, that's what I meant, accepted by Pan Am. Thanks.
 #1172439  by CN9634

Word is 10 NS SD40-2s coming to Pan Am. No idea of lease or purchase but most likely lease. I had originally heard a deal for SD60s but seems to have changed.
 #1172444  by MEC407

Interesting. Surprised they haven't simply gone back to the Helm trough for more. Maybe NS is giving them a sweeter deal.
 #1172451  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:Interesting. Surprised they haven't simply gone back to the Helm trough for more. Maybe NS is giving them a sweeter deal.
Hard to believe someone can put together a better deal than Helm, who just a month ago sent several surplus SD40-2's to the torch because no one wanted to lease them...Maybe playing some poker with NS over PAS?

10 additional SD40-2's would bring the 6 axle fleet on the property up to 40. That would be about 40% of the active roster, certainly something very different than would have been expected even 5 or 6 years ago...
 #1172679  by KSmitty

rdeastcl wrote:I believe the Helm SD's are lease to own.
The contract was posted somewhere here. The numbers were redacted, price and lease rate...but its public knowledge that got run through the fra I think...
Anyway. They are leased with an option to buy or renew the lease after the first 12 month lease is up.

I think i remember they also had written in an option for 10 more SD40s to be leaseed as part of the deal, but it appears the NS option was a better price.
 #1172686  by MEC407

KSmitty wrote:The contract was posted somewhere here. The numbers were redacted, price and lease rate...but its public knowledge that got run through the fra I think...
I posted it here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=73718&start=90#p1142695
 #1172780  by newpylong

I can confirm the NS SD40s.

The other leasers aren't going anywhere, they are the best engines on the property and are dirt cheap.
 #1172869  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:
KSmitty wrote:The contract was posted somewhere here. The numbers were redacted, price and lease rate...but its public knowledge that got run through the fra I think...
I posted it here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=73718&start=90#p1142695
Thanks, I knew it was there somewhere. Good reading!

Just to refresh for the question earlier on the page. They have a 12 month lease on the 10 on the property with an option to buy out at the end, or to release for another year.
 #1173058  by KSmitty

rdeastcl wrote:I wonder how many they are going to pay back HPH. I dont really know, but I'm assuming PAR probaby owes a good amount.
PAR has an "agreement" with NS. Par has been leasing 2 NS units for several years now. Though theyve never touched Par iron. Essentially PAR pays cash for its NS unit usage...

And for CSX they have 2-3 PAR units on the property most of the year. And thats been going on for years now. So Id say hph arent a real big issue.

They need power on line...
 #1174301  by Stephen

CN9634 wrote:Word is 10 NS SD40-2s coming to Pan Am. No idea of lease or purchase but most likely lease. I had originally heard a deal for SD60s but seems to have changed.
So on NERail there are pictures of 3468, 3470, 3476, and 3482 (see below). Any idea on the numbers for the other 6?

And one other question, will the paperwork for this need to be submitted to the FRA as with the Helm-HLCX leases? Or since NS is part owner of the PAS are they "leasing these units to themselves"?

Thanks,
Stephen

3476 & 3470
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=208084

3482 & 3468
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=208093