Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1536024  by johnhenry

Very long westbound freight with 4 CSX engines parked at the West Boylston cemetery this morning. Cars go all the way back to Oakdale opposite the rail trail, which looks to be about 1-3/4 miles per Google maps. Some BNSF grain cars in there as well as open gondolas with refuse/dirt.
 #1536086  by rustyrails

I heard that commotion on their frequency with the dispatcher wanting to let know when the train was tied down. What MPX# is the cemetery in West Boylston?
 #1536169  by jaymac

rustyrails-
IF you GEarth 42°21"56.01"N/71°46'48.30"W, you'll see the cemetery service road where recrews have taken place. Viewed from Rte. 12, it's in between Bigelow Tavern and the Reservoir Garage and a bit TT east of the West Boylston Fire and DPW complex. johnhenry's 8.4 estimate is good, the Rtes. 12/140 UGB being at X8.7 and the Rte. 140 crossing at X7.8.
 #1537045  by jwhite07

While jaymac was gawking up west this morning apparently out of scanner range of the X7.8 DED, I was a bit annoyed to find my southward journey on Temple St./Route 140 impeded for several minutes @ 0420 by an apparent monstah (I only got held up a few minutes, but there were already four vehicles stopped ahead of me at that time of morning and in this era of reduced commuting) of an eastbound traversing Temple Street. Perchance the Q426 heard earlier? I know not, lacking any scanner equipment in my vehicle. The residual effect of Precision Railroading has usually resulted in a Q427 westbound through the area shortly before or perhaps right around that time of day - my understanding is eastbounds usually tend to come through in the very wee hours. Granted, the Hoosac Effect is stronger than any remnant of EHH's legacy, and things have been a tad strange on the Worcester Main lately.

Another case in point, a bit of a railroad traffic jam at Barbers yesterday afternoon @1600-ish observed from I-190 North, with a PAR train occupying the Worcester Main behind Home Depot but exhibiting no motion that I could discern, while the P&W bridge over I-190 was occupied by a stopped autorack train with a pair of G&W painted GE B40s. Dunno how common a scenario that is, but I'd never seen it. I did hear something making noise through the southern West Boylston crossings an hour or so later, presumably the earlier observed PAR train.
 #1537054  by jaymac

by jwhite07 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:27 am
While jaymac was gawking up west this morning apparently out of scanner range of the X7.8 DED, I was a bit annoyed to find my southward journey on Temple St./Route 140 impeded for several minutes @ 0420 by an apparent monstah (I only got held up a few minutes, but there were already four vehicles stopped ahead of me at that time of morning and in this era of reduced commuting) of an eastbound traversing Temple Street. Perchance the Q426 heard earlier?
jwhite07-
To go all POTUS 42, I feel your pain. ~ 0420, I was in the sags of Kimball and Summer Streets, topography sufficiently hostile to block anything outta the X7.8. Given the timing and D-3's inability to get in touch with 426, they mighta been wrapping things up with Jacksonville. Mebbe they already had their Form D for Burncoat to X25. If it came later, I didn't hear it.
 #1537072  by rustyrails

I heard some action around 11pm last night. No sure what train was coming down at that hour. The dispatcher told the train crew not to tie down the train at Burncoat. Rather than tie it down, wait for CSX to get in touch with the train to bring it through. I heard some chatter earlier of someone wanting to jump in front of a train. Not sure if it was this regarding this train. I want to say I heard the Q420 but not 100% sure.
 #1537797  by jaymac

0804/03-27-2020 -- and just in time for whatever rush-hours look like in stay-at-home advisory times -- there was WB noise for the Temple Street/Rte.140/MP X7.8 crossing. From the sound of later noise, they were heading off the property w/o a crew change. 427 or EGT or IM? Dunno -- was doing yard-work w/o a scanner..
 #1547462  by jaymac

0636/07-09-2020 and at appropriate intervals at with appropriate decreases in volume, it sounded like Q427 might be headed for New Bond. I was doing yard work and didn't have radio ears on, so can't be sure, but the engine noise was too loud for a local. Dunno when 426 mighta gotten to Burncoat, but this seems a few late for more recent practice.
 #1547584  by johnhenry

Train with engine 5948 followed by 2 FRA inspection cars east thru Clinton early this afternoon. A west bound freight was sitting on the Clinton siding - was told that it was crew-less at the moment. Then saw track work going on just west of Gates Rd in Sterling - maybe fixing a recently found major defect?
 #1547599  by rustyrails

Q426 with CSX 743 just got form D from Clinton East. Always gets the form D at Burncoat or New Bond. The other night a relief crew was waiting at New Bond to recrew. Is any other work on the rails being done now?
 #1551168  by rustyrails

In traveling I've noticed a set of RR tracks running under I190 at exit six. Does anyone know if these are still in use? There is also another set of tracks going across Rt117 in Bolton I think. What tracks does the Q427/427 use. Is there any updated downloads of the tracks in Ma??