Railroad Forums 

• Worcester Line Track Work, 05-05-2010

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#804151  by jaymac

Ties are being swapped out on on the Worcester line, working east, maybe eventually up MP 16 or so. The intent is to raise speeds to 25 MPH. Not exactly East Wind-like, but there'll be less chance of SEWA/WASE being outrun by bunnies in the wilds of West Boylston and Sterling.
 #809874  by jaymac

A crew of a half dozen or so plus Terex was doing work at the bridge over Rtes. 12-140 today -- yes, Saturday -- in West Boylston when I passed under it at 0830 and 1215.
 #810054  by MCER401

25 on the Worcester Main? That might actually make trains hard to chase! I noticed a work crew picking up old ties a few weeks ago and the thought crossed my mind that they may actually do some work.
 #810166  by newpylong

MCER401 wrote:25 on the Worcester Main? That might actually make trains hard to chase! I noticed a work crew picking up old ties a few weeks ago and the thought crossed my mind that they may actually do some work.
I've been 30 on it! Not that long ago either...
 #810182  by Cadet57

Its a rather depressing thought to think 25 mph on a mainline is good news. Then again, its PAR, the fact they still have trains moving at all is good news :P
 #810185  by MEC407

That's high speed rail compared to District 1.
 #810475  by Ironman

Cadet57 wrote:Its a rather depressing thought to think 25 mph on a mainline is good news. Then again, its PAR, the fact they still have trains moving at all is good news :P
We call it the branch. Good to see they are doing some track work up there.
 #810885  by CPF363

Why is the track repairs stopping at MP16 when there is another nearly 10 miles of track up to the Hill Yard that is also 10MPH in need of a lot of new ties?
 #810925  by Cadet57

CPF363 wrote:Why is the track repairs stopping at MP16 when there is another nearly 10 miles of track up to the Hill Yard that is also 10MPH in need of a lot of new ties?
There is a daily limit at the scrap yard of $300 in metal and PAR reached it already. :P
 #810998  by jaymac

Mebbe the Fantastic Four stockholders will share their decision-making processes with us -- then again, mebbe not.
 #811031  by jaymac

Perhaps a bit of pressure from the Kitty-Cat Crew to reduce -- even marginally -- the away-from-home-rails-time of its visiting power and/or reduce the chances of its power being named and photo/videographed as part of going on the ground or worse at or near a major public water supply?
Just because the one-time logo of CSX was purring comfortably doesn't mean its present management can't do some growling.
 #811621  by gprimr1

Fink has stated in print and publicly that 25mph(and in some cases even 10mph) meets their needs on main lines, and 10 mph on branches.
I'm so glad NS doesn't tolerate this on PAS.
 #813486  by frrc

With the increased speeds, the people who I've seen fishing off the bridge over the Oakdale reservoir are sure to get a wake up call (horn) from trains coming down the grade. Surprised the PanAm PD hasn't taken action, I've seen quite a few people in that area fishing...
 #848523  by jaymac

On 09-09-2010 at 1515, there were a half-dozen or so folks in hardhats and conspicuity vests, one of whom was looking at a set of plans, plus a tracked Bobcat at the Shrewsbury St., W. Boylston, crossing. What made this remarkable was that the usual foliage, some quite tall and tree-like, was gone, not just at the immediate crossing but also at the old Ziff Paper siding. The work didn't look like flail brushcutting, but total-nuke clearing.
Anybody know what's going on?