Railroad Forums 

• Some Guilford questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#56209  by NYNE

Hi, I am new to this forum but I lurk a little and post a little on other forums. Anyway, I have some questions about Guilford operations.

What does Guilford do on the Conn. River line north of East Deerfield? I was in White River Junction last fall and saw two Guilford GP-40s tied up there, but I didn't think they ran frieghts up that line anymore. Thanks!

#56259  by mick

Guilford still has one
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

#56268  by NYNE

Thanks for the inforamtion. What kind of business do they do in WRJ? (If I may aska follow-up.) thanks

#56286  by shadyjay

Wasn't WJED (or whatever symbol it is) supposed to be abolished years ago? There was a picture in Railpace (I think) that had the caption something to the effect of the B&M Wayside Radio Tower being removed due to the ceasing of local service north of Bellows Falls.

So WJED is still running - do they serve online customers? If I understand that correctly, then NECR doesn't run a local in that area? Or is there enough business to support both NECR and GRS??

-Jay Hogan

#56678  by ProRail

NECR controls the Conn River main north of East Northfield, MA. So the radio tower for Guilford was no longer necessary.

EDWJ/WJED generally runs 6 days, Mon-Sat, Running north Monday, south on Tuesday, completing 3 cycles on Saturday. Sometimes they turn at Bellows Falls if the slurry traffic is very heavy.

Some of the customers between Brattleboro and White River Jct are servec by GRS, not sure if its all of them, or just some of them and how that is decided.

#56780  by dcm74

ProRail wrote:NECR controls the Conn River main north of East Northfield, MA. So the radio tower for Guilford was no longer necessary.

EDWJ/WJED generally runs 6 days, Mon-Sat, Running north Monday, south on Tuesday, completing 3 cycles on Saturday. Sometimes they turn at Bellows Falls if the slurry traffic is very heavy.
Some of the customers between Brattleboro and White River Jct are servec by GRS, not sure if its all of them, or just some of them and how that is decided.
When Amtrak/Central Vermont took possession of the Conn River Line Guilford was allowed to retain all existing customers. These customers could only switch to CV (now NECR) if Guilford failed to provide requested service within a specified time (possibly 48 or 72 hours).