Railroad Forums 

• Somerville Trestle MISSING!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#48489  by eotd

I was in MA this past weekend and in the amazing heat, I saw that the old trestle at the end of yard 8 was demolished! Expected to see it from 28 and it was just gone, just leaving an open gap. Does anyone know why? I think it hadn't been used in a while but it seemed stable enough.

#48673  by I.M. Judge

Do you mean the Red Bridge? Man, I had no idea they were going to remove that! I figured it could be used for any future Green Line expansion... and I wonder where the money came from to remove it.

That is a bummer though... I realize that rail is dead in Boston but I still don't like to see something like that go.

#49007  by GP40MC1118

Bridge No.6 or the "Red Bridge" was removed during the DNC. The MBTA used idled Big Dig contractors. Prep work started a week before the DNC by MBCR crew removing/severing the rail connections on either side.

The most primary reason for its removal was to be able to raise the
Fitchburg Route mainline some 15+ inches through the flood-prone area.
How soon this will happen remains to be seen.

Guilford hadn't crossed the bridge in several years anyway, having sold all the land south of it to real estate developement and having pulled Yard 8 out of service about the same time.

D