Railroad Forums 

• Fright hopped in Haverhill!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#47892  by NellsChoo

Yesterday we heard on the scanner about a 15 year old girl who hopped a northbound Guilford freight. The Haverhill police reported it. Seemed to take the GRS dispatcher many tries to get the train crew to understand what he meant by "STOP YOUR TRAIN". Sounded like the girl hopped off once they did actually stop.

JD
 #48053  by wolfmom69

Hey in this age of "gender equality",maybe she was a female hobo....oops,I mean "abodially challenged".No,seriously,where was she riding,in an open box car,or under the angled ends of a covered hopper? This seems to be a preferred place for bums today. One place NOT to ride,is in an open space,between piles of lumber on a centerbeam flat. Seems a genius was doing this,and had concealed himself with some of the lumber protective paper wrapping. Had a nice little cocoon,until the train went into emergency braking and pile of lumber quickly slid,catching him between it and the steel end bulkhead. Ouch! Home Depot probably had a sale on "red tinted lumber". Happened in Texas,about 5 years ago! Bud :P

#49776  by CSX Conductor

There was actually an article in the Sunday Boston Globe a few months ago about a "modern-day hobo".

Also, hitchig a ride in a box-car that has an open door is asking for trouble too! What about rought train handling? If the sliding door or doors close when the train is braking or the slack pulls out quickly, then the trespasser could be stuck inside for quite a while.

#50089  by wolfmom69

They must be well lubricated doors then,CSX Conductor! Nowdays,using the tynes of a fork lift is required to open/close some sliding doors.especially after a rainstorm! But in the late 50's/early 60's,when I was unloading 100 lb. sacks of feed,most doors could be slid open by 1 person. Interesting that Guilford moves cars with open doors,but when interchanging with the SLR at Danville Jct. Maine,the SLR will close the doors before putting them on their through freight. Soetimes a "come-a-long" has to be employed. Bud :P

#50257  by CSX Conductor

CSXT's rules state that we are not supposed to pull cars from industries unless the doors are closed and secured, but most crews pull them as long as all cars with plug-doors are closed. If you have an open plug door, it could be dangerous........take out a high-level station platform etc.

And yes Bud, most doors require use of a fork-lift, but many doors will slide freely.

As far as movement of cars with open doors, it varies from carrier to carrier.

#50622  by mick

I would guess the SLR closes the doors because Customs requires cars going into or out of Canada have them closed and secured, loaded or empty?

#50623  by mick

I also meant to say that slack action or a rough hitch will slam doors shut.

#50632  by NellsChoo

I saw quite a few open boxcars yesterday on a CP freight at the Hoosac Tunnel. Sure is plain inside those things...

#50652  by CSX Conductor

Mick, slack could also slie them open :wink:

#51199  by CRail

Trains roll in and out of framingham with open doors all the time. Not to challenge you CSX but even when kicking cars i have never seen a door slide open or closed.

Anyone know what the penalty is for car-hopping? Its crossed my mind before, though i'd never seriously attempt it.

#52049  by NellsChoo

Oh, but THINK of the TRIPS you could take for FREE!!! A messy boxcar floor with no pillow sounds just DANDY to me!!

:wink:

I'd rather ride up in the engine!!!!!!!!!

#52120  by CRail

Id take an engine ride any day! although when it comes to car hopping, id rather pay the 5 bucks to go to boston then hop a train to beacon park. The schedules are better, the seats are a bit more existant, and the train actualy STOPS for you to get on and of. (besides the fact that its more legal that way).

#55893  by CSX Conductor

You'd be amazed how many times a freight train might stop during one trip, i.e. red signals. LOL