• Lease power on Guilford??!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

Today, for the first time, we saw leas power on Guilford! Yup, Ayer switcher AY-4 had one GRS engine and one HLCX lease engine. They did some work down at the Spagna joint by NEMCO.

Is this due to a rumor we heard about Guilford engines dropping left and right? Anyone have info?

Jonelle
  by wolfmom69

Gen.George S. Patton once said that if he'd had to use German equipment in his advance across Europe in 1944-45,he wouldn't have made it due to breakdowns! But that was due to the overcomplexity of some of the German equipment,especially tanks 7 self propelled artillery. I wouldn't want to bet on GRS equipment,but that is due to a lot of miles,horsepower hours,and next to no money spent on maintaining them.But new & rebuilt units can be unreliable too. They are "short"on power,especially here in Maine. I think the unit you saw in Ayer was not being leased,but "borrowed"! Bud

by NellsChoo

That makes sense, as I can't see Guilford paying money for anything. Maybe they borrowed it from CSX?

EDIT: Here is a photo of the engine

by MEC407

I think that if Guilford did decide to lease some motive power, either short term or long term, they would probably lease four-axle locomotives, rather than six-axle units as seen in your photo.

Guilford's preference, historically, has always been to purchase old, cheap locos outright, rather than buy new or lease.

by CSX Conductor

Also, I have noticed many of the HLCX SD40-2's that have been on CSX road trains are usually "stripped, not equipped". I have also seen "Trailing unit only" stenciled in the cab of some of these "Rent-a-wrecks".