Railroad Forums 

• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1461944  by Dick H

Thanks for those cost figures. Posts on the PRR locos quoted $100,000 per loco.
Do you know If a loco is wired with PTC, can they move the control panel from
loco to loco, like they do with the EOT receiver? Thanks.
 #1462604  by Dick H

Consideration is being given to reactivating some Amtrak FL9 locomotives
stored in New Haven CT as Cab units, during Pennsylvania Station in NYC
more track work this summer, as Amtrak Empire Service Trains will be
diverted to Grand Central Station. This requires running through the Park
Avenue tunnels, which close clearances prohibit the use of side doors for
the engineer to exit in an emergency. The FL9s in New Haven have been
stored for at least 10 years and may have vandalism and theft Issues.

Seeing that the PAR1 and Par2 have nose doors and are in operating
condition, perhaps they might be considered for use. I am not knowledgeable
on speed limitations of the PAR units or what cab signal or other safety
equipment would be needed to be installed, They will not be under power,
as the Amtrak pool of Diesel/third rail equipment will supply the power.
The train set will have to be turned at both ends of their trip, There is a
"loop" track at GCT, although there have been questions as to whether it
is serviceable. Supposedly, the NYP work is a three month's project, so
PAR could cover the OCS with one of those newly painted GEs for a bit.
 #1462697  by MEC407

I'm not 100% certain but the nose doors on the sisters might be welded shut. That was a fairly common practice at one point, and neither of the nose doors on these units have door handles anymore.

Another possibility would be the two former Maine Eastern FL9s. They're still running and blue carded. I don't know if the nose doors are operable but their door handles are intact.
 #1462707  by MEC407

Thanks 690. I imagine RRPX would welcome the lease income. They're currently stored after a busy season of Whippany Railroad Museum Polar Express service.
 #1462724  by KSmitty

4 or 5 years ago the nose door on 1 still functioned. Ive shots of it somewhere on the harddrive with the door propped open.

No idea if thats still the case or if 2 has/had a similarly operable door.

Edit:
So it was closer to 7 years ago. 2011 08 21. There was no exterior door handle on the nose at that time.
 #1462750  by KSmitty

They need some work. If I remember correctly 2 has some electrical issues and wont load. 1 has a cooling issue and doesnt like to sprint anymore. They are geared for it, and there is no specific restriction on them, but with neither unit healthy they tend to put along.
 #1462760  by Dick H

With another thread indicating the two heritage units being for sale or may be retired,
maybe PAR1 and PAR 2 may be headed for the same fate. Maybe some more of the
"new" GE's will get a paint job, with a pair being used for both OCS and freight duty,
as the 516 and 517 had at one time. Thanks to Todd Sherry for this 2009 photo.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20091 ... 7&BOOL=ALL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1462764  by MEC407

Thanks for the pic with the door open. I see what they did. They (and by "they" I mean whoever did the mod -- maybe CN?) reconfigured the doors so they open outward instead of inward. That's much safer. The original doors opened inward and that's why some railroads later welded them shut. It was a crash safety issue.