Railroad Forums 

• Boston Paper Board

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1477869  by gokeefe

BostonUrbEx wrote:Perhaps related to public and regulatory backlash against styrofoams, certain types of plastics, etc. I think I heard a few months ago that Dunkin Donuts will be eliminating styrofoam cups entirely, and bringing back paperboard for hot drinks of all sizes. Just for one example.
WOW ... Well that would certainly explain it if true. Tarriff proofed as well and easy to control production quality.

"I'm going to take the T (or Lyft) and go check things out ... "
 #1478210  by GP40MC1118

As of Sunday there was no change here. Car still derailed. Rumor is PAR, Keolis
having a dust up on fixing the track. The other load remains near Innerbelt.

D
 #1478330  by gokeefe

Wow ... Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was focused tissue. Should be interesting to see what kind of rail volumes this upgrade generates. The recent movement against plastic packaging has major potential implications for the paper making industry.
 #1478540  by festis

The internet was touted to be the death of paper, and in regards to newsprint and other printing grades, it has certainly taken its toll. However, the Amazons of the world now promise you anything your heart desires at your doorstep with the click of a button. How much of that comes in a box....generally with another box inside, or a cardboard backer with a plastic bubble on the front. Last projection I read was 6% annual growth in paperboard through 2030...there will be opportunities for those play it right.
 #1478546  by gokeefe

Is there a consensus that imported packaging is not competitive due to its lighter weight and large bulk?
 #1480581  by BandA

I'm curious what has been the effect of China cutting off most of the post-consumer recycling market? An American mill that can handle recycled source material is going to get it at rock-bottom cost.
 #1482276  by festis

gokeefe wrote:Is there a consensus that imported packaging is not competitive due to its lighter weight and large bulk?
precursors like paper board are no less dense than a roll of printing paper. Converting and finishing will always be regional, that's where the bulk is added. nothing stopping a converter from importing paperboard. I would be surprised if market pricing is high enough to support the added freight though