Railroad Forums 

• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#618601  by csrrfan86

After idling all weekend at Allens Lane in Peabody, the LA-2 crew took #312 and 2 empties out of Peabody around 2000 this evening. They passed through the Lynn MBTA station 2 hours later. Also left some empties on the Eastman spur. Laziness.......
 #635971  by highrail

Monday, Feb 9, 4:30 PM

Guilford (MEC) 503 doing the duty hauling 5 loads through Peabody heading toward Eastman Gelatine. (still some business left!) I did not get a chance to see if they would return today.
 #644584  by highrail

Sunday, March 1

An unusual Sunday move, to say the least. I do not think that I have ever seen service on a Sunday. I was coming out of Stop and Shop and heard the approach...unreal. Guilford 332 with 7 loads this afternoon through Peabody to Eastman Gelatine. Perhaps they were trying to beat the snow storm.
 #644640  by bigbronco85

I just caught the 332 with that same load in Salem an hour or so ago. Engine was idling with some ambient lights on, I didn't see anyone around though. Might still be there, I wonder if it's being left overnight?

You could tell it had recently made it's way back from Peabody due to the ruts in the snow.

I took a few pics that came out pretty cool, I can't remember the last time I actually saw anything in action there.
 #645173  by bigbronco85

Was still there last night idling when I drove by around 11pm
 #645318  by doublebell

And it was still there at 1030 this morning.

John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back
 #645566  by highrail

Wednesday, 8 AM. Three days and counting...still there. I can't imagine the cost in fuel idling for three days. I am sure that the exhaust drifting into the neighborhoods for three days has not gone over well.
 #645874  by atsf sp

Could PAR really spare an engine like this? It doesn't have anything better to use it for?
 #645893  by csrrfan86

If I remember correctly they left an engine idling at Allens Lane for a week. So basically no big rush......
 #646174  by doublebell

It was still there at 1230 this afternoon.

John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back
 #646211  by highrail

How about a pool as to when it will move :-) (I noticed last night that the unit is not running.)

Seriously...there may be an opportunity for a photo here. My speculation is that there is usually a delivery on Friday to Eastman Gelatine. Let's say the unit that comes out will double up with the unit that is there for the run back to Lawrence...a great photo possibility for a double header...hey it has happened before! It could be a great shot.

Steve
 #646249  by bigbronco85

Hah, I can't believe this is still there. Do you think someone came to shut it down, or it ran out of fuel?

Whenever I go to a friend's house in Salem or Beverly, I go by here and laugh. I'm going to try and get a photo tomorrow if anything transpires.
 #646331  by csrrfan86

I also noticed its still sitting there shut down. Hope it doesnt get too cold tonight or your looking at some engine damage.