Railroad Forums 

• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1479403  by highrail

"Trolley proposed to Peabody"

A waste of $50,000 planning money. My estimate just to get off the ground: $5-10 Million. self propelled cars, new roadbed, signals, bridges, storage/maintenance area, PLUS labor costs. Hire a bus for the 2 MILE trip to Salem station.

Steve

The good news...they mention the $200K for track addition at Rousellot. Now if we could only get the line re-activated to the industrial park... :)
 #1479413  by b&m 1566

That's too big for such a small operation. My first thought when I read the article, was the setup in Lowell.
 #1479524  by BostonUrbEx

I'm glad Rousselot is receiving this grant. They've wanted more service from Pan Am which they were unable to get. So the next best solution is to be able to receive and hold more cars in between switches. They have their own trackmobile to do the spotting, anyway. They've seemingly made quite a dramatic turn in business over the years, great to see them thriving.
 #1479559  by BM6569

Why won't PAR give them the increased service if they are paying for it?
 #1479617  by b&m 1566

So, they've been running 2 to 3 trains a week? Adding capacity to store more railcars will bring that down to what 1 to 2 longer trains a week?
 #1482503  by doublebell

Two bones in the yard off Bridge Street at 1100.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1483789  by doublebell

There were a number of empty bones and acids on the tail off Allen's Lane Wednesday afternoon.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back.
 #1485235  by doublebell

At 9pm, BO-1 with 504 and 4 bones and 4 acids is dead in the yard off Bridge Street.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1485498  by doublebell

Several cars on the tail off Allen's Lane.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back.