Railroad Forums 

• Guilford wreck train at Ayer 8/8

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#41707  by NellsChoo

Guilford's wreck train entered the Ayer yard this morning. Word is it may be there untill tonight. If anyone's in the area then, try and catch it! To me, it looks like the wreak train needs a wreck train! HA!

Jonelle

NOTE: I have corrected my incorrect spelling of WRECK. WREAK somehow came out of my fingers by accident...
Last edited by NellsChoo on Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#41752  by CSX Conductor

Do you mean a wreck train?........or does a wreak train reak havoc on the rails, causing job security for the wreck train?!? LOL :P

#41767  by NellsChoo

Yup, I did mean WRECK. That is what I do to my spelling thanks to my first grade teacher. She taught spelling phonetically... which I probably spelled wrong as well.

Can anyone explain the origins of the rolling stock that make up the train?

JD

#41913  by Robert Paniagua

Nice photo Mr. NellsChoo!!

The first car behind the engines is a 1920s era passenger baggage car (I think), and the rest looks like a regular freight consist.

BTW what station stop was that photo taken?

#41931  by NellsChoo

Firstly, that is MS NellsChoo... as in Jonelle :wink:

Here are some more shots of the train spotted at Ayer MA

#41953  by mick

It was going back to East Deerfield
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#42165  by Robert Paniagua

Sorry about that mixup Nells Choo.

But I agree, those are more nice shots you got too, now I get to see the rest of that train which only had ONE engine after all, and a crane car after it before that antique baggage car.
 #42246  by eddiebear

Look closely, that antique baggage car is a former passenger carrying car. Note the covered over windows. The B & M converted some of its heavyweight sleepers (and maybe some of its hw parlors) to baggage in the mid to late 1950s as its wooden equipment was wearing out. By late 1959 the B & M was out of the baggage, newspaper and storage mail business (except Conn River Line) so these cars received very little use. It was very easy to transfer them to Wreck Train service and use them as tool and supply cars.

#42512  by sjl

Yes, these cars would have been around in the 1920's or before.

ron

#42619  by Otto Vondrak

Nice of Guilford to move the train out into the sunlight for railfans to get their pictures!

Now, who's the goob with the baby carriage that got into every one of your shots? (Nice roster shots, by the way... for a GIRL! haha... )

-otto-

#42634  by NellsChoo

For a girl? FOR A GIRL??? HEY!!!

The goob? Oh, I don't know what the deal was with him, but he walked up towards the yard with the rest of us to get shots, though not as far. Thing is, we all knew this was a no-no, but him and the baby, he'd have gotten away with walking right down into the yard!! Seems the clueless always get close to the action but railfans get nabbed...

PS: FOR A GIRL???

PPS: Oh, and I had the camera on that funky setting where it keeps snapping pics, so that's another reason Goob is in all the shots
 #42653  by riffian

the "box" car (next behind the baggage) is clearly a former WWII troop sleeper. This car is from B&M series 3225 to 3276 rebuilt as baggage cars in 1948/1949. The "Baggage" car is a former parlor from series 3291 to 3298, built between 1911 and 1917 and rebuilt as baggage cars in 1955.

#42808  by Stephen

Otto,
Grow up.