Railroad Forums 

• PL-1 Job Central Connecticut PAS Pan Am Southern

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1411511  by Plainvilletrainbuff

Looks like it will be a bit of work to clean up. However, just followed MEC 252 & 253 throigh Bristol about 30 min ago hauling 14-16 cars of construction debris the 2 empty flat cars that hauled big electrical transformers last week, 3 CSX covered hoppers and several gondolas that appeared to have scrap metal. What I found to be interesting is that this train only slowed at the crossings and did not stop like they notmally do.
 #1411550  by Engineer Spike

BostonUrbEx wrote:Passenger service and its related upgrades between Waterbury and Hartford would bring those crossings up to snuff for a quiet zone. :wink:

Not for the cross buck crossings on the Canal.
 #1411565  by Scalziand

Plainvilletrainbuff wrote:Looks like it will be a bit of work to clean up. However, just followed MEC 252 & 253 throigh Bristol about 30 min ago hauling 14-16 cars of construction debris the 2 empty flat cars that hauled big electrical transformers last week,
They hauled another transformer this week, and should be doing a third next week.
 #1411626  by J.D. Lang

It looks like Cherry Hill's C&D facility in Watertown is doing pretty well. Pictures of the incident showed 7 cars on PLED. Between Cherry Hill and the new propane distributor in Plymouth its nice to see some business pickup on the Highland.

J. Lang
 #1411772  by CannaScrews

The transformer was delivered at East Litchfield on 6-Dec.
 #1413148  by KSmitty

I dont know what the roads are like down there, but a few years back we had something similar happen up here because of icy roads. Someone slid into the side of a box car as the train was already occupying the crossing.
 #1413191  by F-line to Dudley via Park

KSmitty wrote:I dont know what the roads are like down there, but a few years back we had something similar happen up here because of icy roads. Someone slid into the side of a box car as the train was already occupying the crossing.
No excuse for that at Broad St., Plainville. It's got the most pitch-perfect sightlines you could ever ask for on a crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/ynEw9kgaAZq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. As a stop-and-protect crossbucks-only crossing they would've seen the stopped train flagging from a half-mile away even in driving rain or snow. Occam's Razor sez driver was a bleedin' moron.

Trust me as a native Nutmegger...that's par for the course over there. For a state that has quite a lot of regular train traffic throughout its areas of megalopolis density, I have never seen such uniformly stoopid behavior around grade crossings as drivers there. Springfield Line is the worst...like the tracks emit some sort of brainwave tractor beam that compels drivers to run the gates with abandon. Growing up in Bristol I've also seen some complete WTF? decisions with the Highland crossings for those slow 10 MPH trains...like, drivers literally stopped and watching the freight creep towards the Broad St., Bristol crossing from almost a half-mile away then suddenly deciding when it was only a few hundred feet away that NOW was the time to floor it around the gates.
 #1413204  by H.F.Malone

F-Line, you are so right. Dopey drivers, and NO enforcement of the laws by the gendarmerie. A certain town of water could probably buy a new cruiser every year from the fines they could collect if they'd stake out a particular "Frosty" crossing.... and pull over the meatheads who blow the signals with impunity.