Railroad Forums 

• PAR Defect Detectors

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#515293  by CN9634

I know one brave soul all by himself that still works for the Boston & Maine Railway. That is the Detector just outside Waterville. When the detector goes off the first thing he says is "Boston & Maine Railway..."

It's kinda odd hes a long ways away from B&M Territory!

#515359  by MEC407

Even stranger, considering that B&M's proper name was Boston & Maine Railroad, not railway. :wink:

#515425  by GRSGuy

The detector at the Hudson River Bridge still says "Boston and Maine Railroad" as well.

#515430  by MEC407

It's been a while since I've heard it, but the detector in Biddeford announced itself as "Guilford Rail System" whenever I heard it (roughly from 1999 to 2002). When I lived in Wells, I was occasionally able to pick up the detector in North Berwick (from 2002 to recently) and it, too, always said "Guilford Rail System."

I've never had a chance to hear any of the detectors that announced themselves as "Boston & Maine Railroad," although I remember a web page that I came across a few years ago -- not sure if it still exists -- which had audio clips of various defect detectors, and one of the clips was of the B&M Hudson River Bridge detector. The voice on the detector sounded like he had a southern accent, which I thought was rather comical for a New England railroad.

#516039  by CN9634

there are 2 in the Auburn "area". One at 157.20 and one at 176. The one at 157 is between Merrill road and Stetson in Lewiston and has been there for years. I've heard this one called "the lady in the woods". The one at 176 by Depot road in Gray/New Gloucestor I've only heard once so I'm not sure if its new or not?

#516282  by newpylong

The B&M Detectors out west just say Boston & Maine, not railroad or railway.

#516769  by GRSGuy

yes, you are correct. sorry for the mistype.

#524389  by johnnynick

Not sure if it does anymore but the detector on the worcester branch used to broadcast as a Union Pacific detector.

#524625  by NV290

johnnynick wrote:Not sure if it does anymore but the detector on the worcester branch used to broadcast as a Union Pacific detector.
There are actually 2 detectors on the Worcester Main Line. Clinton and West Boylston. Don't recall the greetings each one does though.

#525559  by CSX Conductor

Now watch them have to change it like CSXT had to. At first we thought it was the old Southern Mentality of "This ain't Con-Rail Anymore" or "We bought you" but it was later found that the FRA had threatened to cite CSXT fines for having their defect detectors identifying the wrong railroad.

And on that note, if it's now Pan Am Railways, why do we call the Springfield Terminal Train Operations Manager?!? No consistency anywhere,uggh. :( :P

#525566  by MEC407

CSX Conductor wrote: And on that note, if it's now Pan Am Railways, why do we call the Springfield Terminal Train Operations Manager?!? No consistency anywhere,uggh. :( :P
Because "Pan Am Railways" is just a DBA (doing business as) name; it's not the actual name of the company that operates the railroad. The operator of the railroad continues to be Springfield Terminal Railway Co. That has not changed.

This is no different than how it was under "Guilford Rail System" -- that was a DBA name, too. The crews were still Springfield Terminal employees.
 #1483302  by Milepost20

The West Boylston detector is the only one left on the Worcester Main. It sounds different than most and calls out "B and M detector"
 #1483719  by cpf354

There's one in Falmouth, Maine at MP 189.9 that announces "PAR Detector". It's relatively recent, maybe in the past two years.