Railroad Forums 

• Bridge collapse in Kennebunk

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#39163  by MEC407

ProRail wrote:Yet why is the host railroad getting the blame???
I've read and re-read the article, and I don't see any mention of Guilford being blamed for this problem.

#39177  by ProRail

The accusation is a bit cryptic, but its there:

"The issue of whose responsibility it is is going to be deferred," Nadeau said. "We're reserving the option to discuss the financial implications with the railroad later."

My point being if the state of Maine and NEPRA wanted the project done and were the ones spearheading it and paying for it, why does there have to be any financial implications to be discussed with "the Railroad."
Unless they meant "NEPRA or Amtrak" instead of Guilford. In that case it would make sense. Guilford as the railroad whose tracks had been removed temporarily for the project had nothing do to with the project itself.

#39178  by ProRail

Or unless they meant to discuss who owns the bridge and therefore who gets compensated by the contractor for the repairs. Then it that case it could be Guilford or the state getting reimbursed and therefore there is no blame being assessed. I had to read it for a fourth time to pick up on that.

#39183  by MEC407

I'm pretty sure they were referring to who owns the bridge, Guilford or MDOT.

Right now I think they just want to get it fixed and worry about the other stuff later.
 #39231  by wolfmom69

So IF NO freights are running,even at night,HOW are the paper mills shipping rolled paper,and getting their chemicals in?? All the roundabout routes would be very costly??? :( Bud

#39276  by sandpvrr

Bud, and All,
Very simple - the trains aren't running.
District one is all but paralyzed - the locals are running - traffic between Bucksport and Waterville is still heavy (because of the recent back log created by the wreck on the Bucksport branch) but nothing is running south of Portland. I would imagine that WARJ (primary westbound out of Waterville) has been held at Portland if it has been run at all.
On another note, the crane to pick up the wreck on the Bucksport branch is trapped on the Boston side of the bridge in Kennebunkport, which means even that can't get taken care of during this down time.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey

#39877  by cpf354

Trains began running at least as late as the morning of 7-30. Two eastbounds left Wells after one or two westbounds cleared around 0700. Heard WARJ leaving Rigby at 2300 on 7-30. The area of the project/bridge demoliton at Kennebunk is out of service in charge of a MOFW foreman. I hear the traffic through the OOS limits at Kennebunk has been restricted to 5 MPH.
Today most of the Freight Main from CPF200 to Plaistow sounded as if it were OOS, with several different foremen in charge. One train got out of Plaistow eastbound, PH-1, the Portsmouth local. The crane went east at Old Orchard, but how far it got I didn't hear.
IMHO I think they will find that the bridge at Kennebunk is owned by the B&M(Guilford). One has to wonder if there wasn't someone involved in the planning who knew there was a possibility of structurail failure during the project, but was either failed to come forth or was ignored. Anyway, as has been pointed out, the first priority is to get the bridge replaced, then point fingers.
At least the Downeasters can leave Portland five minutes early now! :wink:
 #39935  by wolfmom69

Was down there yesterday,watching the demolition of the old Summer St. Bridge(overpass) that was NOT structually damaged by the process of pumping "slurry"to harden the ground under the ROW. The southern.or ocean side of Rt. 35(Summer St.) "approach "was buckled. Glad to see that work is proceeding BEFORE the "Blame Game"begins . Imagine if this happened when Bush "Senior" was president!? While there are certainly alternate routes to his summer home at Walkers Point,got a feeling,bridge would be done by now,courtesy of combat engineers ! I told a friend,before this,that the contractor was inexperienced on this type of operation,and in watching several other jobs of theirs,"low bidding" reflected this. Now comes the question of ownership. I posted before,probably to another forum or thread here,the discussion of replacing the bridge during the rehab of the tracks for the Downeaster. Earlier,the old BM,had wanted to undercut the roadbed for doublestacks,as had Guilford . Then ownership of the bridge popped up! State claims that their archives show BM ownership never ended,and the line was built in 1873. Well,in 1899-1900,the trolley was built,and a new bridge had to be constructed for the heavier weight(interestingly,a spur from the trolley line ran into the BM "yard" off Summer St. for freight interchange,but most of the freight for the numerous mills in Kennebunk,came off the BM Eastern tracks in W.Kennebunk . Water St. from Rt1 on east side of Mousam River,had many "mills" until a bad fire.The large brick building on Rt.1 was the last working mill). Looks like the trolley line,originally Sanford & Cape Porpoise Railway,later Atlantic Shore Line,paid for the bulk of the bridges costs.) Bridge was strengthened when vehicular traffic increased,and trolley was defunct,in the 20's. So, Guilfords highest paid people(other than Timmy & Fink the Elder & the Younger)their lawyers better do some research. Other evidence of railroad ownership(but NOT of that bridge) was the removal of BMs last 2 wooden overpasses in Maine. These classic "box pony wooden trusses" carried Sinott Rd on the Kbunk/Arundel line and Old Rt. 4 in S.Berwick over the mainline. These were owned BY the railroad!! Bud :P

#40001  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Crane got as far as Waterville - 8/1/04, was there around 11 ish if I'm remembering right.
Supposed to come further east, but not sure when, working on that.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey
 #40037  by AmtrakFan

wolfmom69 wrote:Whadda you expect! The outfit hired by the State(I guess) is NOT experienced in this type of work. Secondly,the Summer St. (Route 35)overpass has been a bone of contention between the town & the railroad(yes,even in BM days!). There was talk of undercutting a few years ago(pre-Downeaster days) to allow double stacks,when GRS was trying to build a dedicated intermodal train. Then the State Archives had to be searched to see that BM Corp.(now GRS) is the actual owner of the overpass & responsible,not the town/state. This has been a problem area for decades. Now,are the tracks closed??? as this is the only atery into Maine from the South. Stay tuned,this has "Cluster F--K" written ALL over it!!! Bud
That is in excuseable to hire a Company who dosen't know what their doing. I think the State should get the Blame not Guilford.

AmtrakFan :D
 #40357  by MEC407

AmtrakFan wrote:I think the State should get the Blame not Guilford.
Nobody is blaming Guilford for anything.