Railroad Forums 

• Freight Operations on the "Northern" New Hampshire Mainline

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#388971  by GP40MC 1116

I was going to ask this question on the Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS) on NE Railfan, but since NEGS's trackage rights run out at the yard, i decided a new topic on GRS/PAR was a better idea.

I wanted to see if anyone here could give me a detailed list of the opperations on the Northern, especially from CPN-9 (Nashua) to CPN-28 (Manchester) as that is where it seems the remaining costomers are on the line. The other day I was in Manchester and passing over Queen City Ave when i looked down at the tracks and it looked to be a Guilford/Pan Am Track Crew rapairing the rail, I think it was a crossover. I also noticed what seemed to be a costomer, directly across from Hesser College that recieves tank cars.

Anyways thats what I was curirous about, mostly the costomers on the Northern from CPN-1 to CPN-28

Thanks! :-D
 #389522  by cpf354

Per the nerrfreight yahoo group list:
The tanks at Manchester would be for Nycoa;chemicals. Other major customers on the Pan Am portion of the Northern are Jones Chemical and Anheuser-Busch in Merrimack. AB gets inbound grain in covered hoppers, Jones inbound chemical tankers. Other known cutomers are Nashua Corp. in Nashua that gets inbound paper loads, WN Footer in Merrimack that gets inbound loads of poles, and Federal Pipe and Steel in Goffs Falls that recieves loads of structural steel. It's been awhile since I've observed operations in that area, but I recall that when a local worked the main out of Nashua, approx. 3 times a week, they always worked Jones and AB. Its impossible to predict when and how often each customers gets service, but that's the latest information.
 #389576  by GP9

Federal Pipe has been gone for about a year and is now used by FedEx. :( There is a customer that moved into the old Sweetheart plant. One or two covered hoppers can usually be seen from I293. :-)
 #389590  by cpf354

My mistake. I was looking at a list from 2005 :(
The group has an updated list from last year that shows Federal Pipe being gone. I think the activity at old Sweetheart is Summit Packaging.
The customer list as of Aug. 2006:
Nashua
Anheuser-Busch
Wm.N.Footer
Jones Chemical
Summit Packaging
Nycoa

#389612  by GP40MC 1116

And of course it seems most times when I see NA-2 working it is during the cover of night and I can never chase their opperations from Nashua-Manchester. I have yet to catch NA-1 working during the day.

NEGS on the other hand always runs durning daylnight so it's easier to catch them

#389632  by bozotexino

I don't think any utility poles have been unloaded at Footer in Merrimack for quite some time, at least a couple of years.

Are there any active customers left between CPN 1 and the switch for Nashua Corp? I thought there was a customer near Nashua Yard that received covered hoppers, but I may be wrong...

Bozo

#390038  by wintrain

Pretium packaging (formerly Rob Container) near Burke St. at the south end of the Nashua Yard used to get covered hoppers. Have not seen any cars there for quite awhile. The siding is not visible from any public locations.

#390801  by bozotexino

wintrain - thanks for that info. They must be the customer I was thinking of. Too bad they're no longer active...

On another note, I heard yesterday that there is a sign posted at Nashua Corp. stating "warehouse space for lease". The person reporting this also believes that Nashua Corp. is no longer receiving any cars there. Can anyone confirm?

Bozo

#416584  by newpylong

If it means anything, utility poles are always on EDNA heading up there.

#416636  by bozotexino

Pole traffic still exists, but it is no longer handled in Merrimack. The pole cars go to Concord for unloading.

I'm still curious about the status of Nashua Corp. - Does anyone know if they are an active PAR customer?

Bozo

#416678  by GRSGuy

Footer no longer gets cars. The last time I worked the line (~ a month ago) Nashua Corp was still getting cars.

#418345  by bozotexino

GRSGuy - Thanks for the update on Nashua Corp.

Bozo

#418843  by Skullitor

How often does the local out of Nashua go down "The Hillbilly" Hillsboro
Branch?
Skull

#418888  by GP40MC 1116

Not sure but it's not that often. The other day the crossing by the Peddlers Daughter in Nashua Downtown had a Lift on the ROW so I doubt much had gone down that way in a little while

#421328  by GP40MC 1116

This thread title should be formally changed to it's proper name, take out the Northern and replace it with the "New Hampshire Mainline" As last time I checked Pan Am hasn't sent any sort of power up to Penacook, NH

:-D