Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1482410  by Backshophoss

The given at Wells is the current siding is using Hand throw switches,is the plan to upgrade to power switches and turn the siding into a control point?
 #1482419  by newpylong

Royal will have 5 grade crossings it will be impossible to use it to park anything of substantial length without cutting the train. If the crew has time to cut the train they have time to get to Rigby.
 #1483578  by gokeefe

Got a good luck at the Royal Siding project today. Massive new signal tower at Royal supporting two stacks of three triple aspect target style heads each.

Ironically this replaces the relatively recent installation made ca. 2011 for the extension project. Mildly surprised by that twist but not unexpected given project scope. Switch track panel assembly in progress but less than 50% complete.

Track is in active construction. They are at the Tuttle Road right now and working their way North. All track panels for crossings appear complete. Interesting choice of yellow wood crossing timbers, cut by hand and bolted into place. Might be paved over at a later date.

Town of Cumberland already making cuts in also relatively new traffic island installed at one crossing in order to accommodate second track. Seems likely this would be included in project scope as "existing" infrastructure.

West side of approach to Royal has been brush cut extensively and graded into a new access road heading towards Walnut. All sub grade work clearly finished. No track ballast yet, ties and rails only.

It is breathtaking to say the least to see something approximating modern double main line track north of Portland materialize.
 #1483723  by cpf354

CN9634 wrote:Personally I'm surprised that more spend isn't done on stations/accessibility to the train to improve the core product. I assume of course ownership over those facilities is spread out and largely out of NNEPRA's hands, but in reality the majority of Stations in Maine aside the Wells station are useless. They allfollow a common trend-- small platform, low parking capacity (or maxed out, so same thing), downtown area (hard to get through traffic or no room to expand). Even the Portland Transportation Center is getting crowded these days with the bus service, Thompson's point and other activity right there.

What needs to happen is a station built purely for Mainer's who don't live in a community with a station, but don't want the hassle of going to Brunswick, Freeport or Portland and that has good highway connections. Literally something designed for parking and riding, also added benefit, not being on I-295 (which is a hopeless road with no plan to address the dangerous overcapacity problem). Ideal location for this would be West Falmouth by the highway exit (52?) at the convergence of I-95 and the 295 Connector, take advantage of the I-95 corridor directly into Gray/NG, Auburn/Lew and Augusta while planning for growth with the triple lane expansion proposed on that stretch.

If you need a study done I'd do it for discount even.
There is a Maine DOT park and ride facility at the Hannaford shopping center at Exit 53 in West Falmouth that is adjacent to the ROW, however the railroad is in a substantial cut and there would need to be stairs, and an elevator for handicapped access.
 #1483784  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote:I disagree that an elevator would be required. I think ramps could fit.
You apparently don't have COPD. Ramps are an obstacle for those who do. Ramps are certainly a fine accomodation for some, but not for all, unfortunately. Don't all the new stations on the line between Springfield and New Haven have elevators?
 #1483806  by gokeefe

Ramps would meet ADA standards. That's the only aspect I was addressing. Most (if not all) of the new stations between SPG-NHV have elevators. On the other hand everything north of SPG does not.
 #1483876  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote:Ramps would meet ADA standards. That's the only aspect I was addressing. Most (if not all) of the new stations between SPG-NHV have elevators. On the other hand everything north of SPG does not.
Yes, I was thinking in that vein after I posted. I think the new norm, though, is elevators. How much of a ramp would be needed in terms of pitch and distance [at West Falmouth] to be ADA compliant?

Here's the background for my previous comment: I was at an LIRR station in Queens that was elevated about 40 feet above the street. It took three ramps of about 100 feet each, and two switchbacks to get up to the platform. Then, I learned the next station about a mile away was at ground level. Shoulda gone there in the first place!
 #1485136  by gokeefe

Drove through Woodford's corner to check out progress. Enormous amount of work underway two new track panels lying in the Right of Way ready for installation.

Easy to forget about this project but it does have a significant rail component and will result in major safety enhancements to the crossing.

South end by the Odd Fellows Hall nearly complete. North end is appears ready for paving and at the moment is bare grading.
 #1485173  by artman

As a side note, sorry the TRNE thing didn't work out, George
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting