Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1482170  by gokeefe

That is roughly what I've heard as well. It is a very high priority project because the trains meet in Wells several times a day and the meet can be problematic when the schedule starts to slip.
 #1482172  by newpylong

But how is extending a couple of miles of double track going to shave off more time than putting the wye back in? That backup move and changing ends has to lose a good 20 minutes to the schedule. 2 more miles of running at 60 MPH plus accelerating/stopping for a brief meet you're talking 5 minutes saved time.
 #1482177  by gokeefe

I used to think the backup move was costing about 20 minutes as well. It is probably more like 10.

The other problem in Wells is the platform. Only one train can make the stop at once which can result in significant delays. Furthermore, the crossover is north of the station which means a conflicting south bound train must wait for the northbound train to arrive, make the station stop and then clear the signal block protecting the switch to the north.

Making the diverging move also requires slower speeds because the crossover is not a high speed switch. It's pretty easy for trains to lose 10 minutes in Wells and the delays potentially affect travel in both directions.
 #1482210  by Rockingham Racer

One would think that conflicting moves that cause a delay to a train would be addressed by putting some time in the timetable for such an occurrence. This assumes, of course, that all trains run on time--which they don't. The obvious solution to such a dilemma is to build another platform for a station in two-track territory, but I think we can pretty much assume that won't happen.
 #1482256  by gokeefe

Almost none if you're asking about actual "double main line" track. Double ended passing sidings are somewhat more common but still in short supply. The situation is about the same from the ME/NH state line until you get to Plaistow.
 #1482260  by Cosakita18

I don't think there's any point between Plaistow and Scarborough where a running meet could take place. If the Wells siding was extended far enough that might count as real double track.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1482282  by CN9634

Personally I'm surprised that more spend isn't done on stations/accessibility to the train to improve the core product. I assume of course ownership over those facilities is spread out and largely out of NNEPRA's hands, but in reality the majority of Stations in Maine aside the Wells station are useless. They allfollow a common trend-- small platform, low parking capacity (or maxed out, so same thing), downtown area (hard to get through traffic or no room to expand). Even the Portland Transportation Center is getting crowded these days with the bus service, Thompson's point and other activity right there.

What needs to happen is a station built purely for Mainer's who don't live in a community with a station, but don't want the hassle of going to Brunswick, Freeport or Portland and that has good highway connections. Literally something designed for parking and riding, also added benefit, not being on I-295 (which is a hopeless road with no plan to address the dangerous overcapacity problem). Ideal location for this would be West Falmouth by the highway exit (52?) at the convergence of I-95 and the 295 Connector, take advantage of the I-95 corridor directly into Gray/NG, Auburn/Lew and Augusta while planning for growth with the triple lane expansion proposed on that stretch.

If you need a study done I'd do it for discount even.
 #1482305  by gokeefe

West Falmouth has indeed come up in the past. I like it because I think it would provide a partial answer to the Lewiston-Auburn demands ...
 #1482354  by Cosakita18

The Portland Transportation Center is being upgraded in the relatively near future with more emphasis on multimodal transport, bus connections and expanded parking facilities (via the parking garage at Thompsons Point) I think that's coming in the next year or two.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting