Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1450406  by BM6569

Caught RUPO passing through Lewiston later afternoon. TT speed is back to 25, and it was nice to see it moving along at that good clip again!
 #1450591  by 690

TT speed never dropped from 25, there was just a "temporary" speed restriction in place. If Pan Am had reduced it to 10 mph in the TT, or Class I, then they would need FRA approval before bringing it back up to 25, or Class II.
 #1450609  by BM6569

Right. Thanks for the correction. I didn't phrase that correctly. It was a speed restriction. Had TT on my mind for some reason.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1474711  by backroadrails

From what I had been hearing 9 dragons owns a ton of mills in Asia, they don’t have enough pulp to keep the machines operating so they have been looking at mills in the US. They had looked at Bucksport, Lincoln, and Old Town but weren’t interested in those properties. Weather or not they will turn Rumford into a pulp mill is beyond me.
 #1474851  by 690

More or less at five days a week, depending on crews and power availability.
 #1474893  by BostonUrbEx

That is good to hear that they're trying to run more often. I believe the line had a regularly followed limit of something like 70 cars per train. Were they hitting that too often when running just three round-trips per week?
 #1477299  by gokeefe

I would expect things to be picking back up with machine and pulp mill restart in Jay.
 #1480934  by newpylong

How do you know that?

Both have had enough output for decades for more rail but have only used it for a small fraction due to unreliable service. So an increase in production will not necessarily amount to more rail service.
 #1480935  by Cosakita18

I don't know the physical state of the Rumford branch right now but isn't PAR doing work on the branch to improve service??
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1481382  by BM6569

Yes. I'm not sure what the work entails. I actually caught PORU in Auburn yesterday mid afternoon. two engines with a healthy cut of cars