Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1519071  by 690

A trackmobile would never work at Rumford. Not unless they want to do Tk 21, 37, etc one car at a time.
 #1519093  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:47 pm That does not mean anything, ad there are many trackmobile operations that cross major roads all over.
Appreciate the clarification. I didn't realize those were allowed to operate outside of a plant.
 #1519117  by newpylong

Yes, trackmobile outfits can have rights onto a set physical track(s) outside their property, but they must be qualified.
 #1519215  by 690

Not exactly sure what you mean by a different crew doing the pulling, but Pan Am will still run to Rumford with PORU/RUPO and move the freight over the mainline. Watco is merely doing the switching inside the mill. If you meant that Watco crews will literally be confined within the yard, everything east of MPR44 is Rule 98 trackage (other than main track), where you don’t need to be qualified, or really have any experience, as long as you’re operating under restricted speed, Watco can switch the mill and the yard.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1519216  by newpylong

That is not entirely true. Rule 98 is not synonymous with no holds barred. If the operator is running over someone else's trackage (whether is be controlled or non-controlled), then they at the whim of that host carrier's ruleset and their requirements. Not an issue at Rumford it seems though.
Last edited by newpylong on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1519231  by Safetee

rule 98 in fra parlance is non controlled track where "trains are permitted by railroad rule or special instruction to move with out receiving authorization from a train dispatcher or control operator." So in this case if PAR was to issue a bulletin order with specific instructions for how and where watco would operate, they technically would be kosher without being thoroughly norac qualified. But PAR obviously would have the right by granting some permission to a non affiliate to run on and occupy specific tracks which might possibly include the pre requirement to have received some instruction at least on NORAC lite.
 #1519235  by newpylong

I would invite all to read: https://www.fra.dot.gov/Elib/Document/1597

WATCO would likely be considered a plant railroad and exempt from FRA oversight - however Pan Am would still be regulated (as a general rail system operator) would entering their property to get/set off cars. Even if PAR still owned the yard, WATCO could be allowed in to interchange and still not be governed, but would obviously need to follow PAR rules.

It gets confusing and I know the FRA has begun to try to more heavily regulate private operators in the past decade.
 #1519249  by KSmitty

Qualifying them wouldn't seem a hard problem. 4 or maybe 5 of the 7 hires have already had NORAC training as they are former employees of the outgoing mill switching outfit...
 #1519499  by 690

Sure, qualifying them wouldn't be hard, especially considering some of them did have NORAC training, but at the same time, Pan Am has no interest in allowing Watco to operate over their trackage, and secondly, several of these former employees, at the risk of sounding like an ass, are former employees for a reason.
 #1519548  by Backshophoss

All PAR has to do is set a limit to how far Watco can operate,a limit post can be placed on the Branch "mainline" from the yard,
to allow 3-4 car head clearance for switching.
 #1519558  by 690

There already is a limit, and has been for a long time; MPR-44. You cannot operate west of there without permission. For the yard itself, the effective limits is the Swingdingle on the other side of Smith's Crossing. Derail is not supposed to be taken off unless you're entering or leaving the yard on a road job.
 #1519578  by backroadrails

A GMTX painted GP38 was spotted on I believe AYPO today enroute to Rumford. There was a sighting on CSX of another GP38 with GMTX markings. The unit looks to be exNS and is still in NS paint with GMTX patches. This unit I assume is for Old Town.
 #1519659  by KSmitty

I was thinking along the lines of how the "interchange" is going to take place, and how PORU/RUPO are going to share the yard with WATCO. SAPPI has some pretty strong rules regarding ST operating on their property. Double derail, so ST and mill guys are always seperated by at least 1 derail. I assume this is because the mill guys aren't qualified.

If they qualify the crews on NORAC, then ST and Watco crews could share the yard space with the derail and isolation protection already in place.