Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1499934  by newpylong

I was referring to having the entire branch listed as being restricted on the speed summary not the actual logistical issue of the low speed. If it's lowered to 10 MPH in the timetsble there is no need to list it as such in the speed a summary because 10 is now its permanent MAS.

When I worked there the speed summary was 7+ pages. Its now around 3 by knocking back all the stuff that was perpetually 10 anyway.
 #1507376  by roberttosh

Verso just announced that they're closing their Luke, MD plant which I might add is no small operation. Sad news for sure as I guess there aren't a lot of jobs down that way and it sounds like this will be devestating to the local economy. The press release mentioned that other Verso mills will pick up the slack which likely means increased production at Jay. Glad to hear they didn't close Jay instead but still hate to see these closings period....
 #1507380  by riffian

That's a huge hit for Western Maryland. Many of the towns there are already seriously depressed.
 #1516730  by PBMcGinnis

What's better for rail - more high end paper or more packaging paper?

The answer is 1 word: cardboard

Everyone wants to make boxes and shipping containers for Amazon.
 #1516737  by gokeefe

Recycled pulp has some interesting implications ... Lots of inbound scrap ... Boxcars would have loads inbound where right now they're almost always empty.
 #1516743  by Mikejf

Inbound loads would be outbound empties unfortunately, would be my guess, unless it was in a pool car that could reload for a new destination..
 #1516745  by gokeefe

Pan Am seems to use a lot of pool service cars (RBOX) along with their own paper service pool (BM, MEC).
 #1516755  by CN9634

The Raws will always come in rail if you want to be cost competitive... outbound rail goes a lot of places, but off line RDCs will be a stronger than before rail to location for these mills. Notice how they are expanding production capacity but not warehouse space?
 #1517104  by PBMcGinnis

Right now most on-rail warehouses from Bangor down to Philadelphia are jammed full of unsold paper rolls. So yes, not expanding Warehouse or storage space at the Mills is beginning to have some consequences.
 #1517143  by toolmaker

PBMcGinnis wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm Right now most on-rail warehouses from Bangor down to Philadelphia are jammed full of unsold paper rolls. So yes, not expanding Warehouse or storage space at the Mills is beginning to have some consequences.
Why produce more product and pay to warehouse it when it's not being consumed?
 #1517182  by gokeefe

He's suggesting building a mill owned warehouse in order to reduce storage costs. This is not a new idea for Rumford and well worth considering.