Railroad Forums 

• Tagging Freight Cars In Charlestown

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#293307  by Finch

I think that, when done tastefully, graffiti is acceptable. Certain locations would look worse when tagged than others, of course. Some structures were not meant to be painted on. But sometimes graffiti adds a new dimension of creativity and uniqueness to the structure. A boring brick wall might benefit from some color. As far as box cars go, I don't necessarily have a problem with it if it looks cool. Sometimes I might prefer nice clean railroad colors though.

#294117  by paulrail

Graffiti is just plain awful and obnoxious.

If these so called "artist's" (joke!) want to paint, they could do a nice mural of a street scene or country vista and not the gross hodgepodge of scribbling they do today. :(

Better yet,..........do nothing! :wink:

Paul

#295090  by eotd

The standard art philosophy is that if it can cause such a strong reaction from people, then it has tremendous worth as art. There's all kinds of "art" that people just look at and, think, "oh yeah, that's nice, whatever..", but the argument could then be, "that's just not effective anymore, that art just blends into the landscape and causes no reaction at all".

I think it's interesting to see companies like Blair Line and others make details for model railroaders based on boxcar graffiti. I am pretty sure there's railfans out there that also paint graffiti on trains, and i know that writing things on traincars goes back to the civil war. How do you consider the old Herby sketches and railworker drawings?

#298887  by Jonny Bolt

Most graffiti is illegal. Go work hard and get your own structure, etc to deface. Dont deface everyone elses shit. Private property. Keep out, or get shot.

#298935  by MikeB

Sorry, I thought we were talking about whether it was art or not. Not whether it was legal or not. Don't run for office, you're not good at changing the subject. Also, that's not my work up there.

#299455  by Finch

Jonny Bolt wrote:Most graffiti is illegal. Go work hard and get your own structure, etc to deface. Dont deface everyone elses *. Private property. Keep out, or get shot.
Often times it's on public property though. Even if it's on "private" property like a railroad's box car, it's not the same as tagging someone's house or something. The lines blur....tricky subject... :-)