Railroad Forums 

• Guilford activity in Wells, Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#49  by MEC407

MEC 509 (GP40-2W) was working in Wells late this morning. They pulled an empty out of the Shaw's Distribution Center, pulled a few empties out of Spencer Press, and then pushed a few loads into Spencer. They headed back east shortly after Amtrak 681 went by. They had a load of wood, a tank, a hopper and some boxcars, probably for industries in Biddeford such as Wood Structures and Interstate Bakery.

#1207  by camster202

Isn't it true that the crews don't really like the GP40-2WL's or GP35's for switching/locals? Or is that only for switching? I was thinking about that one--could it be because the GP35's don't have good acceleration or something to that effect? I thought they really liked the -2WL's for road freights....

#1241  by MEC407

It has been said that some hoggers aren't particularly fond of the "wide cab" units for switching, due to slightly decreased forward visibility. I would think that the visibility wouldn't be any worse (and is probably better) than any of the high-nose units.

And speaking of high-nose units, I have always heard that the crews really like the GP35s for switching and for locals. The high-nose ex-NS GP35s have dual control stands, which makes them much easier to operate long-hood-forward, as is often required when switching or working a local job.

The GP35s are 2500HP and ought to have pretty good acceleration -- better acceleration than a GP7, GP9 or GP38, I would think.
 #1467  by wolfmom69

Camster,next time you see one of the Guilford wide cabs up close,look at the trucks: only 1 brake shoe per axle,not on both sides of wheels. There is is your answer to why they are unpopular for switching. Not enough quick stopping power until you get used to them,like having power brakes & then going to standard units. They stop,sure but it takes some getting used to. I think this was a problem of the U-18s when MEC first got them in the mid 70s. You rarely ever see a "wide cab" "kicking cars at Rigby,if there is a GP-35 or regular GP-40 available. Best "accelerating unit I ever saw on Guilford,was about 5 or 6 years ago,when a "Danville Extra",with close to 50 cars for the SLR had to stop at the diamond for an SLR crew switching. Took off on the slight eastbound grade,over the diamond & was up to 15 mph(yard limit speed,and they had to stop soon,to back their cars into the interchange track) in no time. SLR guys were even impressed. Just ONE unit,SD-45 #681!! Bud :P

#1904  by N_DL640A

>>>It has been said that some hoggers aren't particularly fond of the "wide cab" units for switching, due to slightly decreased forward visibility. I would think that the visibility wouldn't be any worse (and is probably better) than any of the high-nose units. <<<
They mean it is harder to see someone (directly in front of them) on the front pilot of the locomotive, as the nose gets in the way.

>>>The GP35s are 2500HP and ought to have pretty good acceleration -- better acceleration than a GP7, GP9 or GP38, I would think.<<<
The "acceleration" he refers to is actually how fast the locomotive loads, which is strictly an electrical function. HP is not a factor. I don't work for GRS, so I can't say how fast their GP35s load.

#2409  by camster202

Didn't know that about the wide-cabs. Before this site went down, there was a post a long way back about how the GP35s were "boxy" and if you heard a crew say something like "we got the block" then it meant they were using a GP35...Didn't really know what it meant at the time but I guess it could mean stop-start. Good thing about the dual control stands, though.

I would agree with MEC407 and Bud, because I think if you had a hopper or a boxcar and were shoving it, then you couldn't see around it unless you stuck your head out the window. Stop-start I didn't realize was a factor--but a quite obvious one now that I think about it. :wink: