Railroad Forums 

• Portland Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#14373  by rxr

I witnessed a strange maintanence looking train pass through Exeter yesterday. It was about 6 or 7 car lengths with a strange engine. I couldn't detect what the purpose was. Does anyone know anything about it?

#14393  by wolfmom69

rxr, This is the LORAM "rail grinding train" RG-15. They went via GRS to Danville Jct.,in Auburn,Maine,then onto the SLR where they did their grinding in "selected spots" in Maine,N.H.Vt. and Quebec on the St. & Lawrence Atlantic(Quebec). They returned Monday,did a little bit more grinding about 60-70 miles out of Auburn,then returned the same way vis Guilford. (no grinding on Guilford!).When the train(or whatever they call it correctly) is "working" it is an awesome spectacle!!! especially at night! I was hoping that it would grind at night through some "rich,YUPPIE,towns!!!!! The" beautiful folks" wouldve thought the end of world was near! Bud :P

#14438  by rxr

Wolf

How do you know this--is there a good place to get info on Guilford activity, I live near the line and everything sneaks up on me. How do I get the skinny on the goings on.

At any rate, thanks for responding. Is the RG-15 coming back up this way?

#14470  by wolfmom69

A scanner is great,plus there are several websites under Yahoo, covering the area railroads. Dont think the LORAM is coming back up. Bud

#14821  by rxr

thanks guys