Railroad Forums 

• Derailment in Etna 03-13-2020

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1536604  by MEC407

From News Center Maine:
News Center Maine wrote:ETNA, Maine — An investigation is underway to determine how a train carrying petroleum derailed in Etna around 1:30 a.m., according to the Newport Police dispatch.

The derailment happened between Station Road in Etna and Palmer Road in Newport.
Read more at: https://www.newscentermaine.com/article ... 17d4de2729
 #1536627  by backroadrails

According to a friend of mine on Carmel Fire, 10-20 are on the ground, including a few LP cars that rolled down a embankment. According to a few Facebook posts, 505 took the cars east of the derailment to NMJ while the 334, 321, and 310 picked up the cars on the west end. The ED wreck train also left this afternoon so I would guess they are taking both wreck sets up.
 #1536700  by 690

Ten cars on the ground, seven upside down in the ditch, all LPG. No leaks. It's east of the Station Road crossing in Etna, around the curve, so not publically visible, and since nothing blew up, it's stayed pretty quiet on the news.
 #1536758  by MEC407

Being in the midst of a global pandemic is keeping a lot of stuff out of the news, too.

(Stay safe out there and wash your hands!)
 #1537022  by MEC407

Video by Maine Train Chaser:

https://youtu.be/2nR2IQwblHE
 #1537117  by backroadrails

They got 3 cars rerailed so far, 1 earlier this week, and 2 today one of which was missing couplers and was dropped at the spur in Carmel, which must be the first car in atleast two decades to be setoff there. From what I have viewed on Facebook per Lucas Leighton's reports, the train has been leaving NMJ with the 380 leading between 4AM and 6 AM and leaving Etna either when WANM gets to Newport or around 5 PM.
 #1537210  by backroadrails

Wreck extra stuck at Etna due to a derailment at NMJ. They stuffed two cars on the siding at Carmel today. I wonder if they will send the train up to rerail the 7 at NMJ seeing that they should only have 2 LPG’s at Etna to clean up. Supposedly 7 on the ground at NMJ. Not a good couple of weeks for Pan Am!
 #1537218  by MEC407

#1537282  by MEC407

"When the caboose is rockin', don't come a-knockin'..."

Video by Rumford Branch Productions:

https://youtu.be/-yLR7pEiexA
 #1537405  by Dick H

The combined ED and WA wreck train returned to Waterville yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.
No word when the ED train will head west back to its home base at ED.