Railroad Forums 

• PAR Interest in CSX MA Branches?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1458607  by gokeefe

Setting aside the main line(s) of the former B&A ...

Are there any CSX owned/operated MA branch lines that Pan Am would potentially be interested in acquiring?
 #1458679  by GP40MC1118

Only three parties showed up for the cancelled MDOT bid for the SE Mass lines last Fall, despite the
fact the the so-called "Cranberry Division" is the a money-maker for CSX. Back up for bid, so it'll
be interesting if this gets cancelled again in light of the CSX news or, if not, who shows interest
again.

D
 #1458696  by BostonUrbEx

They're going to buy the Fitchburg Secondary, Framingham Secondary, and Middleboro Secondary, and reconnect the Fitchburg Secondary to the Freight Main. They're going to run high priority fertilizer trains from Fore River to Mohawk.
 #1458756  by Dick H

CSX stated to the Albany Times Union that the B&A is not for sale.
However, I would not be surprised if everything east of Worcester
will not end up on the chopping block. PAR will likely get the East
Boston line for the NE produce center.
 #1458831  by arthur d.

BostonUrbEx wrote: They're going to run high priority fertilizer trains from Fore River to Mohawk.
Albany already has a well established and prolific fertilizer generator.
 #1459001  by NYC27

Given that the abandoned section of the Fitchburg Sec has been sold to the city to become a bike trail, what use would it be to them? Connecting via the Grand Jct or the old Clinton interchange just won’t work for anything but low volume moves. The Grand Jct is limited to plate C on top of that.
 #1459061  by KSmitty

NYC27 wrote:Given that the abandoned section of the Fitchburg Sec has been sold to the city to become a bike trail, what use would it be to them? Connecting via the Grand Jct or the old Clinton interchange just won’t work for anything but low volume moves. The Grand Jct is limited to plate C on top of that.
arthur d. wrote:Albany already has a well established and prolific fertilizer generator.
I may be mistaken, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but I believe you'll find the post was supposed to be sarcastic.
 #1459076  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The only pickup PAR is likely to score is haulage of CSX's Everett Terminal customers. Not a takeover...just mercenary haulage. CSX can potentially make more money out of its Everett rights than they do right now simply by getting off the Plate B -restricted Grand Junction and throwing some bigger-size refrigerator cars onto PAR's Plate E routing. It'll also let them save considerable money on ops, since post- Beacon Park closure B721 literally does nothing except run nonstop from Framingham to Everett every day and will cease its once-weekly dropoffs at Houghton Chemical in Allston in 6 months when HC's freight contract is formally retired. If PAR is punctual enough at Barbers CSX can tack handoffs of the NEPC produce onto the B722 westbound that runs from Framingham to the N. Grafton & Worcester interchanges, and keep a perpetual business toehold at the terminal with any future sign-on potential that may entail. They'd keep rights to take the job back in-house if they're somehow dissatisfied with PAR's haulage, but would save a bundle not needing to run it themselves.

On PAR's side it's obviously free money for tacking a piddling few extra cars onto a BO-# job they're already running to Everett every single day...so their side of the bargain is self-evident.

There aren't any other CSX locals that PAR can feasibly reach, so that's it. B724 still does enough biz on the Fitchburg Sec. to sustain a daily schedule to Northborough-Clinton-Sterling. And that branch hitting established industrial parks situated right around the Mass Pike, I-495, and I-290 is a competitive flank they'd want to keep protected so PAR or P&W can't march in from Clinton Jct. and open up tit-for-tat direct competition to Westborough Transflo on the same stretch of MetroWest highways. Clinton Jct. is always going to be paper-barriered even if they don't really give a crap about developing any new biz at all those unused sidings between Framingham and Clinton, because their continued presence on the branch enforces a de facto perimeter fence around competition for the primary MetroWest yards on the B&A. It's only the last 6 miles of active track past Bestway Lumber in Sterling (near historic ex- Pratt's Jct.) to end of the line in Leominster that they're eager to erase from existence. There's only 1 on-line customer left in Leominster, and hardly any setoffs still being done in the downtown yard. City of Leominster is extremely hostile and endlessly feuding with them. And the 2 days a week they run past Bestway they have to outlaw at Clinton Jct. for HoS and come back the next day to complete the Framingham return. They're almost certainly sticking needles in a Teknor Apex voodoo doll hoping that customer just goes away so they can proceed with embargoing everything north of Bestway and put it on countdown to abandonment. B724 actually pockets a small but tidy profit if it can guarantee a round trip within HoS all 5 weekdays instead of just 3.
Last edited by F-line to Dudley via Park on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1459078  by Dick H

The photo below in 2006 by Greg Guimond shows the remains of the connecting track
from the Worcester Main line and the CSX Fitchburg Secondary in Clinton MA.

If this track is still there, the switches on each end have probably been straight
railed or removed. However, assuming (always dangerous to assume) the right of
way is still there, PAR could rebuild the track and reinstall the switches. Since
Clinton is about halfway on the CSX line, a local out of Ayer would have to run
both north and south to serve all the customers. There is a passing siding on
the Worcester main in Clinton, where the local could make runaround moves.
This project would cost much less than reopening the line at Fitchburg.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... A&BOOL=ALL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1459094  by NYC27

Don’t be so sure about CSX being strategic and paper barrier-ing up their upcoming sales. The consistent word from out of Jax that I hear is that their purge is a short term money grab and they know they can get more cash without paper barriers. These will be outright sales not leases. In fact if you lease a line this is your chance to buy them out, even buy out your paper barriers. This management team is a different breed of cat.

PS I recognize sarcasm - I was responding to the first post.
 #1459152  by Ironman

This is what I've been trying to tell this forum, but they don't want to listen. We are hearing the same thing consistently here in one of the affected areas, no matter what some mouth piece says on the news. That guy will say whatever they tell him to say. I think that people are forgetting that CSX was a victim of a hostile takeover by what amounts to modern day corporate raiders. Remember, the stock jumped just on rumors that Harrison was looking to run CSX, and that forced the boards hand. Look at the envisioned system map of the old management compared to the one now. Current CSX management has no vision of a viable CSX into the future, and that was never really the goal.

I'm pretty much done with this topic here, as people are asking for sources and cites, and quite frankly I'm scared to give any of that.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting