Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Engineer Spike
Posts: 1925
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:24 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by Engineer Spike »

Nobody has mentioned Metro North PTC. I have read that they are using the satellite based system. As I pointed out before, they will need the system on the D&H. One other location which was not pointed out is Amtrak Hartford Line. I’m sure that one of the units with cab signals will also get PTC. This could double for the pool for T service.

Backshophoss
Posts: 6490
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by Backshophoss »

Sometime soon MN will put in CTC/ACSES II on the Waterbury line,PAR/PAS units rigged for ACSES on the Amtrak Springfield runs will be OK to
Derby Jct on MN Waterbury Line.
The sore subject has "shifted" to Where MBTA and PAR share track,All the MBTA lines will be on ACSES II,PAR will have a few units rigged for I-ETMS
to transit the shared track sections,paid for/installed by MBTA.
A second option is for a dedicated set of locos owned MBTA loaned to PAR for transit over the shared trackage.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

gokeefe
Posts: 12327
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by gokeefe »

$3M awarded to Pan Am for PTC equipment installation aboard engines.
Springfield Terminal Railway Company (ST)/Pan Am Railways; up to $2.99 million

Will install ACSES II and Automatic Train Control on ST’s locomotives on rail lines throughout the New England area and support related testing and training.
gokeefe

johnpbarlow
Posts: 2175
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by johnpbarlow »

A step in the right direction. There's still the issue of how PAS trains 22K/23K/287/28N powered by Norfolk Southern supplied locomotives equipped with I-ETMS will be able to run the 20 or so miles from CPF-335 Westminster to CPF-WL where only ACSES II wayside PTC is used. And perhaps a lesser issue is how will RJED/EDRJ operate over the short stretch of CP track between Mechanicville and Crescent where I-ETMS is installed?

gokeefe
Posts: 12327
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by gokeefe »

NS has plenty of equipment that is ACSES equipped I don't see that being an issue. Not sure what they will do about Rotterdam Junction but at this point I think they have a 95% solution.
gokeefe

CPF363
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by CPF363 »

johnpbarlow wrote:A step in the right direction. There's still the issue of how PAS trains 22K/23K/287/28N powered by Norfolk Southern supplied locomotives equipped with I-ETMS will be able to run the 20 or so miles from CPF-335 Westminster to CPF-WL where only ACSES II wayside PTC is used. And perhaps a lesser issue is how will RJED/EDRJ operate over the short stretch of CP track between Mechanicville and Crescent where I-ETMS is installed?
NS will add an ST ACSES II equipped engine on to the 22K/23K/287/28N trains at Mechanicville. To service the I-ETMS CP segment for trains RJED/EDRJ, ST will have to equip a handful of engines with I-ETMS that will be dedicated to run over that segment.

johnpbarlow
Posts: 2175
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by johnpbarlow »

gokeefe wrote:NS has plenty of equipment that is ACSES equipped I don't see that being an issue. Not sure what they will do about Rotterdam Junction but at this point I think they have a 95% solution.
Per my extensive readings of various RR's PTC project plans and progress reports on the FRA web site, I don't believe any NS locomotives will support ACSES II PTC that uses wayside transponders as implemented by Amtrak and MBTA and other commuter rail systems. Here's an excerpt from Amtrak's most recent progress report (Q218) regarding interoperability:
Amtrak has agreed with its host carriers that all diesel locomotives will be equipped with I-ETMS for interoperability with the host systems. All tenants on the NEC except NS and Marc have agreed to equip with ACSES, this includes CSX. Amtrak and NS have reached an agreement where NS will install I-ETMS on portions of the NEC and Harrisburg Lines where NS freight trains operate. NS and Marc are negotiating on an agreement where Marc trains would operate with I-ETMS on the NEC in the territory that NS will equip.
URL for FRA PTC content for all RRs implementing PTC: https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0628

johnpbarlow
Posts: 2175
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by johnpbarlow »

CPF363 wrote: NS will add an ST ACSES II equipped engine on to the 22K/23K/287/28N trains at Mechanicville. To service the I-ETMS CP segment for trains RJED/EDRJ, ST will have to equip a handful of engines with I-ETMS that will be dedicated to run over that segment.
That seems pretty awkward if not inconvenient!

gokeefe
Posts: 12327
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by gokeefe »

Thanks for the clarity. MARC going with I-ETMS seems strange. Cheaper than ACSES apparently ...
gokeefe

Backshophoss
Posts: 6490
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by Backshophoss »

MARC needs I-ETMS to run on CSX trackage to Cumberland W Va.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

User avatar
amtrakhogger
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by amtrakhogger »

Why can’t MARC have both? Amtrak P32ACDM’s have ACSES and I-ETMS both installed.
He is a railroad man. Isn't there a discount for a railroad man?

ATK
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Defected to the red side

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by ATK »

Backshophoss wrote:Sometime soon MN will put in CTC/ACSES II on the Waterbury line,PAR/PAS units rigged for ACSES on the Amtrak Springfield runs will be OK to
Derby Jct on MN Waterbury Line.
MNR Waterbury Branch has had ACSES rules in effect for several months now, operation is contingent upon the functionality of the onboard equipment.

ATK
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Defected to the red side

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by ATK »

gokeefe wrote:$3M awarded to Pan Am for PTC equipment installation aboard engines.
Springfield Terminal Railway Company (ST)/Pan Am Railways; up to $2.99 million

Will install ACSES II and Automatic Train Control on ST’s locomotives on rail lines throughout the New England area and support related testing and training.
Does PAR have any locomotives currently equipped with ACSES equipment? Or does this funding represent the initial purchase of onboard equipment for installation?

A215
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by A215 »

There is one four axle GE in Waterville shop being equipped with ACSES, Cab signals, and fresh Pan Am paint. As far as I've heard the first to get PTC installed on the system.

newpylong
Posts: 4321
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: NH

Re: Pan Am v. PTC implementation

Post by newpylong »

CPF363 wrote:
johnpbarlow wrote:A step in the right direction. There's still the issue of how PAS trains 22K/23K/287/28N powered by Norfolk Southern supplied locomotives equipped with I-ETMS will be able to run the 20 or so miles from CPF-335 Westminster to CPF-WL where only ACSES II wayside PTC is used. And perhaps a lesser issue is how will RJED/EDRJ operate over the short stretch of CP track between Mechanicville and Crescent where I-ETMS is installed?
NS will add an ST ACSES II equipped engine on to the 22K/23K/287/28N trains at Mechanicville. To service the I-ETMS CP segment for trains RJED/EDRJ, ST will have to equip a handful of engines with I-ETMS that will be dedicated to run over that segment.
No, The T is going to dual equip between Westminster and Willows. The NS units wont have a problem.

Not only is the MBTA equiping 39 units with ACSES but 13 with IETMS for going over CP.

Return to “Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)”